Author Topic: Bike shop, Sackville Street  (Read 4721 times)

Offline HoraceHMS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bike shop, Sackville Street
« on: Friday 09 September 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Looking for a family that owned (or ran) a bicycle shop on Sackville Street in Derry in the early 1930s. We think the name may be Barber or Barker.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bike shop, Sackville Street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
I remember a Cycle shop in Sackville street called "Sackville Cycles" It was there in the 1970's/80's, not sure when it closed, did a quick search but can't find an owner in the 1930's, older Trade directories for the city don't mention a Cycle shop in Sackville street but these are from the early 1900's.

A Dan McCauley seemed to own the shop in the 1950's going by this article in the Derry Journal http://www.derryjournal.com/community/nostalgia/the_penny_farthing_takes_to_the_streets_of_derry_1_2427505

Not sure if this is any help but  a letter to the Derry Journal may be the best way of finding out for sure who owned the shop in the 1930's

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline HoraceHMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the advice.

I did a quick search on the Derry Journal and this article came up http://www.derryjournal.com/community/columnists/remembering_derry_s_plush_picture_palaces_1_2114973 It seems to suggest that the family was Barber that owned the bike shop in the 1930s.

Thanks again.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Agree, looks like the shop was in Barber hands in the 1930's
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline amagee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 01:54 GMT (UK) »

my names amy magee and i was online just browsing my family business name from before i was born and came across this sit. my dad and grandad owned sackville cycles in sackville street derry around the 1970s/80s. i wasnt alive at the time so dont know much info of any previous bike shops in the 30s with the same name but i know for a fact it wasnt the same people in the 30s that then had a shop in the 70s/80s.
hope this sort of helped, Amy.

I remember a Cycle shop in Sackville street called "Sackville Cycles" It was there in the 1970's/80's, not sure when it closed, did a quick search but can't find an owner in the 1930's, older Trade directories for the city don't mention a Cycle shop in Sackville street but these are from the early 1900's.

A Dan McCauley seemed to own the shop in the 1950's going by this article in the Derry Journal http://www.derryjournal.com/community/nostalgia/the_penny_farthing_takes_to_the_streets_of_derry_1_2427505

Not sure if this is any help but  a letter to the Derry Journal may be the best way of finding out for sure who owned the shop in the 1930's

Regards

Joe

Offline seek2c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I think the Barber's from the Culmore Rd had this shop..I remember Perce Barber R.I.P telling me this ..he ran a VW garage/Parts at Thornhill...look up Thornhill auto's....his son still runs a business from there.

Good luck.
Pat

Offline KeithBarber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Looking for a family that owned (or ran) a bicycle shop on Sackville Street in Derry in the early 1930s. We think the name may be Barber or Barker.

Any help much appreciated.

I can give you all the help you need  :)

Offline KeithBarber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi the Bike Shop belonged to my Grandfather . J. Barber (Joe).  It later became a self Drive Car buisness .  The names of the family that took it over were  . Percy Barber , Tom Barber and Jack Barber .

Pictures of the shop can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85052972@N03/

Offline J1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi , my cousin Keith Barber off culmore road, Thornhill autos put up a post saying it was his family the barbers who owned J Barbers off sacville street. Keith is no longer with us , his father Percy and himself run Thornhill autos , the bike shop was between 3 brothers and in laws ,Tom Percy and Jack , Jack being my Grandfather , my mother's father. I have a picture off the shop, and is always in our thoughts , if there's anything yous would like to talk about feel free to message me.