Author Topic: michael meade born 1804 guernsey  (Read 1903 times)

Offline slod junior

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
michael meade born 1804 guernsey
« on: Friday 09 September 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
hallo everybody
i am stuck  researching a friend meade's tree
can anybody please help me find anything useful about the above michael
he was described in one census only, as an army pensioner, chelsea
in one census guernsey was transcribed as germany
he married amelia 1849 medway,  who married matthias slocombe later

thank you

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: michael meade born 1804 guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
The National Archives holds the Chelsea Pensioners records which may be helpful for Michael Meade.  These records are online but need to be purchased for a small fee.  There is also another website which has this information, but needs to be subscribed to.

Anyway I had a look around and wonder is the following the right chap?

I looked online and found a Michael Meade who joined the 1st Veteran Battalion on 25/11/1812 and was described as underage.  His age at attestation was stated as 9 years and 1 month, giving a birth year of 1803.

His place of birth was stated as Guernsey, Channel Islands, but no parents or guardians names are provided.

On 29/7/1814 he transferred to the 55th Regiment on Foot with whom he served until his discharge in Chatham Kent on 26/11/1844.

He was 41 years at the time of his discharge and described as being 5ft 6 inches, with dark brown hair and grey eyes.

During his military career he served 8 years and 202 days at the Cape of Good Hope; 10 years and 312 days in the East Indies and 3 years in China (dates are not provided)

The reason for his discharge was given as his "having contracted a disease due to lengths of service in tropical climates, incapacitating him from further military duties"

His Regimental # was 76.

At the time of the 1851 Census with his wife Amelia and daughter Helen, the original transcript states he is from Guernsey, but the 'cover' transcription erroneously states Germany.

In 1861 he is with the Royal Navy, docked in Jamaica and he is a 'sick berth attendent'.  His place of birth is given as Rochester Kent, but going by the 1851 Census this was his place of residence.

In 1871 he has returned to Kent and is living with his wife Amelia and children Helen M Meade (20) and William Meade (16).  His year of birth 1804 and place of birth Guernsey.  His occupation is Labourer

He dies Q1 1872 in Medway Kent aged 69 years, year of birth 1803.

I have been unable to find out who his parents were, or in which parish in Guernsey he was born.

Maybe he was orphaned at a young age which resulted in his joining the Military at such a young age?

Hope this is of some help.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline slod junior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
wow !

thanks for the info.

you have given me a lot to assimilate

i will contact you again with my conclusion
thank you again

slod junior

Offline slod junior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
hallo again

i have compared your report with my version of his tree and confirm that me is the same man.

your details of his career have been passed to his descendant and i await any reply from her.

thanks again

in the 1861 census his place of birth was recorded as rochester kent

the 1881 census shows a richard meade 1813 rochester as brother of william who was son of michael
richard could have been brother in law of amelia who was michaels widow
richard is too old to be a probable brother of william the head of the household.

--------------
i did wonder if michael was shipwrecked and landed on guernsey, but have found no evidence to support this silly idea

slod junior