Author Topic: Re: Thomas Watson Taylor - born 1866 Brighton  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Watson Taylor - born 1866 Brighton
« on: Saturday 10 September 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to establish the name of Thomas's parents - I suspect them to be John Taylor and Elizabeth Watson but am seeking confirmation.

In addition I am also trying to find out whom he married in 1884 - Free BMD shows either Eliza Griggs or Annie Hall but can't see them on later censuses to be certain.

Has anyone access to parish records etc which may give the answers?

Thanks

Alan

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Thomas Watson Taylor - born 1866 Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thomas' baptism entry on SFHG website says he was baptised at St Nicholas, Brighton on 20 May 1866, parents John and Elizabeth Taylor, living at Windsor Street, Brighton, his father was a fishmonger.  On the 1871 census (which is very feint they don't seem to be at Windsor Street, but at Bedford (?) Buildings, and his mother is Elizabeth A Taylor.  His father is still a fishmonger.

I don't know Bedford Buildings but it could be in Windsor Street?

;D  (I'll have a look at the marriages, and try and find a better copy of the census.)
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for the parents: John TAYLOR (aged 27) and Elizabeth Ann WATSON (aged 33), 14 Jan 1863 at St Nicholas, Brighton.  Fathers' names: John Watson and John Taylor.

There seem to be several Taylor families who were fishermen in Brighton around that time and there is a John baptised, son of Adam and Jane Taylor in 1837 but that can't be right.  The only one with a father John, is John TAYLOR baptised 21 Dec 1834, parents John and Ann, of Cavendish Street, father a fisherman.  (There are several others but either not John as Dad, or not fishing as occupation.)

The marriage for John Watson Taylor - was it in Brighton?  And was it using his full name?  I can't see it  :-\ (but it is probably just me  ::)

;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the information. Elizabeth's father showing as John Watson would seem to be the correct marriage/family I am looking for.

The son - Thomas Watson Taylor's (not John) marriage is on Free BMD - Dec Qtr 1884 Brighton - Reference 2b/480.

Does the SFHG web site have any other information?

Alan

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 September 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
 :-[ No wonder I was having problems - I'll try with Thomas rather than John!  ::)
Research interests:

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 September 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question ... the SFHG doesn't have any more information I don't think - the SMI only has marriages until 1837 so unless you can find someone going to Chichester who can look at the marriage registers the information won't be definite..

However, I have found a John King who is not married in 1881 and who is by 1891 and living in Brighton with his wife Eliza.  This may mean you should be concentrating on Annie Hall?

I can also find no obvious mention of them in the census unless possibly Annie died and Thomas remarried?  Without a reference to her in a census, or the marriage certificate I'm not sure how you will find out where she is from.  :-\
Research interests:

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 September 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for all your hard work.

Alan