Author Topic: Walter Joss baptism look up please  (Read 1324 times)

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Joss baptism look up please
« on: Saturday 10 September 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for the baptism of my 2 x great grandfather Walter Joss bc1813. Walter Joss married Philis Watson in Tynemouth on 24/2/1833. Philis was born in South Shields.
They had five children in South Shields where they settled.
Jane Maris or Marr Joss 1836
James Barron Joss 1838
Catherine Ann Joss 1840
Alexander Joss 1842
Philis Joss 1844.
Walter was a master mariner and it appears that he may have died off the coast of Murcia, Spain in August 1858. I can find no record of him in any census so have nothing which states where he was born. However, the Joss name appears on familysearch.org in Aberdeenshire along with the names Barron and Marr. Two of Walter's children were given these names and so I wonder whether this is the link. The names Jane, James, Catherine, Alexander and William seem to have been used within this family and I wonder whether it is even possible that William Joss b.1841 Old Meldrum could have been know as Walter ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Joss baptism look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
Walter and William are distinct names and would not be interchangeable. Old Meldrum is well inland and you'd probably be looking for someone born in a coastal parish. Joss often appears as Joass in earlier times. You will find them in Banffshire as well as Aberdeenshire.

Graham.

Offline PriceNash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 23 10:47 BST (UK) »
I have Walter Joss being born 22 Mar 1806 in Macduff, Banffshire. This is recorded on his master's certificate of service. It is a line which I am currently researching and so would be interested in hearing what information you have on the family of Walter Barron Joss and Phillis Watson.