Author Topic: Ive gone back to the old version of Ancestry  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ive gone back to the old version of Ancestry
« on: Saturday 10 September 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Getting more and more frustrated with the new version on Ancestry and having to plough throiugh pages and pages to hopefully find anything it had been suggested to me to use the old site. TRhius I have been doing getting results that I could not find before in half the time. So if you arent finding what you want on the new site go back to the old site. You will see this option at tghe top right when you click on search on the home page.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ive gone back to the old version of Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
use old version all the time

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Me to,I find it much better than the new
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
I was at the family history fair in Newcastle today and actually managed to get close to the Ancestry stand - it's usually surrounded by people wanting look-ups. 

I mentioned that I prefered the old search to the new one and complained about pages and pages of data that did not comply in any way with what I had put in the search boxes.  Nice young lady told me that most people say the same and that word is being passed to the 'geeky guys' who write these (so called) improvements

Christine

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 September 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
I've always used the old version too.I carry the idea that if it isn't broke don't fix it!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 September 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness for you lot!  I too was getting frustrated going through reams of stuff that I don't need.  I have done as you suggested and got back into the old site.

Some of the names that I put in come up with something completely different; until I get to the end of the list and there they were!  What is going on?  ???

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
I carry the idea that if it isn't broke don't fix it!

Exactly William
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
I feel many changes are badly thought through, and many others come under the category of change for change sake.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
I carry the idea that if it isn't broke don't fix it!

Exactly William

Weren't people thinking like this called Luddites?!?! ;D ;D ;D

Personally I prefer to use FindMyPast and FreeBMD, and just occasionally use Ancestry search.

That's my "If it's broke, use something else" approach! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)