Author Topic: Frances LAWRENSON / GERRARD  (Read 2760 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frances LAWRENSON / GERRARD
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 September 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
If you are purchasing Frances's death certifcate, I'll be very interested in who her parents are said to be. I'm unsure if there is any relationship to my Cheshire Lawrensons but I don't think it was a terribly common surname so you never know.  :)

Good find Heywood ... but should that marriage be 1837?  ;) Looking at the spelling of the surname, maybe that's why Annie couldn't find the marriage?
I was so excited  :) I'm working on an iPad so it's a bit more difficult (my excuse anyway   ;D )
There is a Henry Lawrinson in Runcorn in 1841 but the page doesn't scroll very well on here. I can't see him anywhere else  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 September 11 04:11 BST (UK) »
If you are purchasing Frances's death certifcate, I'll be very interested in who her parents are said to be. I'm unsure if there is any relationship to my Cheshire Lawrensons but I don't think it was a terribly common surname so you never know.  :)

Good find Heywood ... but should that marriage be 1837?  ;) Looking at the spelling of the surname, maybe that's why Annie couldn't find the marriage?
I was so excited  :) I'm working on an iPad so it's a bit more difficult (my excuse anyway    ;D )
There is a Henry Lawrinson in Runcorn in 1841 but the page doesn't scroll very well on here. I can't see him anywhere else  :-\

I was just teasing . ;D

I haven't worked on this side of the family for a long time, and I don't know very much about them. I always thought of them as being poor ag labs, so it will be interesting to try to look at your Frances's lineage to see if we can match the families up. When you get the father's name we'll have somewhere to start - possibly the Cheshire tithe maps would be worth checking if the family owned/worked the land, though I'm not sure if dates would tally with your Frances's father.

Offline AnnieAustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 11 04:51 BST (UK) »
of course they could have been telling porkies. I have a Wm Gerrard convicted at Lancaster assizes 27/5/1837 sentenced to 7 years. Term expired 6/8/1843, although released "on licence" prior to this. If this is Frances' first husband and she came out as well, she may have met Patrick in Tasmania as his family emigrated there in 1818 with 9 children. They were respectable business people and if he bolted to Sth Aust with Frances in 1839 would not have spread the word she was a murderer's ex wife. The rest of the Coglin's soon followed to Sth Aust. Unfortunately ships passenger list does not say where they boarded the Lady Lilford, may not have been Liverpool but Hobart. There were a few trips by a Wm Gerrard from Hobart to Adelaide and back after the date he was released. Seems to have spent the rest of his life in Tasmania (except that a Wm Gerrard was charged with manslaughter later in 1843, same one?) Patrick was a prominent business man and member of Parliament, even at the very big balls, royal occasions etc Frances was never named on the guest list

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
of course they could have been telling porkies. I have a Wm Gerrard convicted at Lancaster assizes 27/5/1837 sentenced to 7 years. Term expired 6/8/1843, although released "on licence" prior to this. If this is Frances' first husband and she came out as well, she may have met Patrick in Tasmania as his family emigrated there in 1818 with 9 children. They were respectable business people and if he bolted to Sth Aust with Frances in 1839 would not have spread the word she was a murderer's ex wife. The rest of the Coglin's soon followed to Sth Aust. Unfortunately ships passenger list does not say where they boarded the Lady Lilford, may not have been Liverpool but Hobart. There were a few trips by a Wm Gerrard from Hobart to Adelaide and back after the date he was released. Seems to have spent the rest of his life in Tasmania (except that a Wm Gerrard was charged with manslaughter later in 1843, same one?) Patrick was a prominent business man and member of Parliament, even at the very big balls, royal occasions etc Frances was never named on the guest list

A great story and a great mystery Annie. The plot thickens.  ;D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 September 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

I know you were only teasing.  :D
On the ipad I couldn't move to various parts of the page and it was blurred but I thought it said that Henry Lawrinson was 'Lunatic'.
I have now checked 1841 again and it still looks like that  :-\ . There is an 'ag lab' in the house with him. If anyone wants to check it would be good please.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk