Author Topic: Birth Certificates ordering issue  (Read 9936 times)

Offline smithy6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates for making family tree, ordering of a current minor
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, trouble is the wrong term, yeah, I meant if putting 1/1 should be alright.

Offline smithy6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Anyway, I'm ordering, hopefully it should work out!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
If you have access to the Office where the event was registered it might be helpful to get the certificate from that source rather than the GRO. The GRO certificate is one remove from the original registration, and there is always the possibility (however unlikely) that an error has crept in between the two sources.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline smithy6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 September 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thanks for the advice. I have already ordered now, will see how it progresses first.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 September 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Is there some reason you actually need the certificate ..... Why can't you contact the adults associated with this child's birth and ask them for the exact date of birth, and the correct spelling for the names of the parents ..... after all they are related to you, aren't they ?  Surely, there's someone related to you who already knows the exact date of birth for your relative?  

And, once you have this piece of information, what are you going to do with the information and with the certificate itself?  

In other words,  I am confused as to the intent and purpose of your seeking to obtain a birth certificate for a person who is still a minor, and who therefore is not in any position to provide informed consent to your "need to know" the details found on their birth certificate.  

If you were seeking a birth certificate for someone born in New South Wales, Australia you would need to wait until 100 years after their birth.  If for example I NOW wanted to obtain a copy of my own birth certificate, I would need to go through "hoops" and produce so much identification before I could order it.  I get by with my copy obtained decades ago for the lawful purpose of providing it to the clergy when arranging my marriage.  In NSW the birth certificate is a fundamental document associated with my private personal identification, and Australian Privacy Laws give me good reason to believe that there's no-one able to obtain a copy of MY birth certificate, unless they can prove they are ME.  My birth certificate is kept under lock and key, so too is my marriage certificate and my OH's birth certificate.  

Many cheers,  JM

Hi,
Yeah, I realise people might not like it hence I am confused.
I am aware of every detail other than the exact day of birth I am wondering how to go about it.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 September 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Unless I've missed something, Smithy has no connection to Australia.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 September 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
I find myself largely agreeing with JM, even with the Australian details, which as I read it are for an example of practice in that country.

It was necessary for me to obtain my daughter's birth certificate a few years ago - born long before 2007 in the UK - and had to supply the exact date of birth.    
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 September 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
I find myself largely agreeing with JM, even with the Australian details, which as I read it are for an example of practice in that country.

It was necessary for me to obtain my daughter's birth certificate a few years ago - born long before 2007 in the UK - and had to supply the exact date of birth.    

And it was from the local office.  And I also seem to recall that I had to have the full names of the parents. 

I inadvertently made a mistake on the application form (can't remember what it was now) and it wasn't ready when I went back, but they got it up for me in about twenty minutes after that. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 September 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Here in the UK a birth certificate is not and never has been proof of identification.

Anyone in the world has the right to order a certified copy of the registration details of any birth, marriage or death in the UK.
It is enshrined in law and has been since 1836.

There is no need to jump through hoops simply give the GRO reference or if not known what details you do know and sit back and wait for the certificate.

Cheers
Guy

PS Some office policies try to demand further details before supplying certificates. Such demands are entirely illegal and should never be complied with.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.