Author Topic: Birth Certificates ordering issue  (Read 9935 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates ordering issue
« Reply #54 on: Monday 12 September 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Smithy6, your first post asked a question which was accurately answered by davidft. Since then you have,if I have understood correctly, ordered the certificate but now propose to try to cancel it because one or two people don't agree with our Government allowing the purchase of such information. I really wouldn't bother - there must be many such certificates ordered every week. You're just going to totally confuse GRO. The fact that some others have unsubstantiated hang ups about this is totally immaterial. You mention that you have upset some people - I don't think that is the case.  All you have done is sought information about a legal way of obtaining information.  I'm sure they understand that they have the right not to obtain information by this process if they feel strongly about it but, equally, that you have the right to do so if you so desire. As I said earlier, recent Scottish births are indexed on Scotlandspeople and can be ordered straight off the screen. The sooner something along those lines is introduced in England the better, although I appreciate that there are very real obstacles to that ever happening.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline smithy6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 12 September 11 10:50 BST (UK) »
Smithy6, your first post asked a question which was accurately answered by davidft. Since then you have,if I have understood correctly, ordered the certificate but now propose to try to cancel it because one or two people don't agree with our Government allowing the purchase of such information. I really wouldn't bother - there must be many such certificates ordered every week. You're just going to totally confuse GRO. The fact that some others have unsubstantiated hang ups about this is totally immaterial. You mention that you have upset some people - I don't think that is the case.  All you have done is sought information about a legal way of obtaining information.  I'm sure they understand that they have the right not to obtain information by this process if they feel strongly about it but, equally, that you have the right to do so if you so desire. As I said earlier, recent Scottish births are indexed on Scotlandspeople and can be ordered straight off the screen. The sooner something along those lines is introduced in England the better, although I appreciate that there are very real obstacles to that ever happening.
yeah I do somewhat feel this might be invasion of privacy- which  was why I posted the thread to ask, and I should do so also because I have made an error that I provided the GRO details but put date as the 1/1/yr format which was for cases where no GRO reference is provided.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 12 September 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
It's well worth a search on GenesReunited.   Search an earlier name in one of the trees and see if anything comes up.   You can do this without paying.   Only have to pay when you want to contact anyone who might have one of your names in their tree.

Also try 192 online.   You should have a likely area with the area of the birth in question.   It's pay per view (ppv) though and seems to be a tricky site to get your money's worth - at least in my experience. 

Re the GRO, my opinion is that they will only use the reference.   I stand to be corrected on this though.   

(Let us know what happens regarding the cert  :) )
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
This query is going way off topic, as it is turning into a discussion of privacy laws and ethics in different countries.

The original question has been answered, so I am going to close it now.

Smithy6, if you have any more queries please start a new topic ...

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)