Author Topic: Research advice needed  (Read 2054 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Research advice needed
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My mom and I will be in Yorkshire at the end of September and would like to do some research.  Can any of you advise me on what we should focus on and how much we can realistically expect to do?  Here's our situation. 

We are coming from Canada and will be in York for about a week.  We will also be spending some time in London.  My mom's mother was born in the village of Tollerton (Easingwold District) around 1920.  We will be visiting some family there for the first time, so hopefully they will have some records, or at least some knowledge that we don't have.  I already have my grandparents' WWII marriage certificate and my grandmother's birth certificate.  I also have a copy of the family's 1901 census entry, a transcript of the 1881 entry from Familysearch, and a transcript of the 1871 from a kind RootsChat member.  I also have several baptisms and marriages from the IGI going back to the early 1800s.

So.... with only a week, what should I do?  I want to maximize our visit. (But we will not be devoting our entire time to research - we want to sightsee too!)  At home I have easy access to an LDS Family History Centre, so I was trying to think if there were things I should do while I'm in Yorkshire that I won't be able to do through the FHC.  I thought I could order some BMD records before I go and then pick them up while I'm there.  Are there other things I can do before I leave that will make it easier?  Any and all advice about what to do before and during the trip would be most welcome....

Thanks,

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Research advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi MJP

It sounds like you're going to have a great week!  ;)

If I was you I would focus on visiting Tollerton and the family there - as you plan to do.

If you want to know the libary sources for Tollerton census details they can be checked at http://www3.northyorks.gov.uk/libraries/census/detail.asp?frmCplist=T&Submit1=Submit&Parish_ID=1732

The local studies section of the North Yorkshire County Council Website is also good.

Have a great trip.

Best wishes

Ticker

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk