Author Topic: Birth record for John BAKER, Chulmleigh, 1803/4  (Read 802 times)

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
Birth record for John BAKER, Chulmleigh, 1803/4
« on: Monday 12 September 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
My John BAKER died Tiverton June 1875 aged 71, so should be born June 1803-June 04. Census records say he was born Chulmleigh. His marriage record (to Susanna BUCKINGHAM) at Kings Nympton records his father as John BAKER yeoman.  The OPC advised that the only John BAKER born in Chulmleigh parish around that time was born illegitimately to Grace BAKER on 10 June 1805 (father John KEEN) - Grace's parents Richard and Mary BAKER.
But - is it reasonable to assume my John BAKER pretended his father was someone who didn't exist - or is it a problem with available records? Other sources indicate a John BAKER yeoman was living at Chulmleigh in 1783 and a John BAKER yeoman was living in nearby East Worlington in 1804. My John should have been born 1803/4 not 1805. Finally he has named his children traditionally as per his wife's family but his first son and 2nd daughter are John and Mary. Any help in resolving his actual birth record very much appreciated.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record for John BAKER, Chulmleigh, 1803/4
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Did the OPC give you his birthdate or baptism date - which are often quite different? Unfortunately fathers were often 'invented' at times of marriage to avoid embarassment. I think you will find that the OPC has given you an accurate assessment of the PRs.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comment on this DOB7 - yes he was born just before he was baptised . I think it probably has to be my man, but as that particular record has never been recorded online anywhere I just wonder if there are other possible records also not online in neighbouring parishes, particularly with such a common name. Thanks again.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Only about 60% of Devon parishes have any form of online transcription.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Yes it is that remaining 40% that is the mystery isn't it!! Very tricky when you have to do all your research online. Appreciate your comments.