Author Topic: Help with Irish marriage indexes  (Read 3580 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Help with Irish marriage indexes
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to track down a Thomas and Mary Patterson in the marriage indexes pre-1860.  I know the village where they lived and have found a Thomas Patterson in the right place in Griffiths.  And I know they had a son born c. 1860.  So I was browsing the indexes at my Family History Centre trying to find their marriage, hopefully in or near the same village.  The index I was looking at had just a list of first and last name, with district where marriage took place.  The husbands and wives seem to be listed separately, so you can't make the connection between them.  Since I don't know Mary's maiden name, how do I go about finding the right Thomas Patterson without ordering 2 dozen possible certificates??  Any advice here would be most welcome. 

Thanks,

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Irish marriage indexes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to track down a Thomas and Mary Patterson in the marriage indexes pre-1860.  I know the village where they lived and have found a Thomas Patterson in the right place in Griffiths.  And I know they had a son born c. 1860.  So I was browsing the indexes at my Family History Centre trying to find their marriage, hopefully in or near the same village.  The index I was looking at had just a list of first and last name, with district where marriage took place.  The husbands and wives seem to be listed separately, so you can't make the connection between them.  Since I don't know Mary's maiden name, how do I go about finding the right Thomas Patterson without ordering 2 dozen possible certificates??  Any advice here would be most welcome. 

Thanks,

MJP
can you tell me where in Ireland and I will see what I can find on the BVRI
audrey

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Wow - you're fast!  I'm pretty sure they are in Co. Tyrone.  My great-aunt says they were from the village of Drumquin (Parish of Longfield East or Longfield West - I always mix them up).  The Thomas Patterson I found in Griffiths was living in the townland of Kirlish, right next to Drumquin, which suggests my g-aunt is right, but I don't have any actual documents that indicate where in Ireland they were from.  The son who was born c. 1860 was named William.  I don't know if there were any other children.  William's 1901 Canadian Census entry says he was Church of Ireland. 

Thanks a million.
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Wow - you're fast!  I'm pretty sure they are in Co. Tyrone.  My great-aunt says they were from the village of Drumquin (Parish of Longfield East or Longfield West - I always mix them up).  The Thomas Patterson I found in Griffiths was living in the townland of Kirlish, right next to Drumquin, which suggests my g-aunt is right, but I don't have any actual documents that indicate where in Ireland they were from.  The son who was born c. 1860 was named William.  I don't know if there were any other children.  William's 1901 Canadian Census entry says he was Church of Ireland. 

Thanks a million.
had a look in Tyrone loads of Patterson but no Thomas

found this one
Thomas Pattison 16/10/1855 a Cival marriage  at Coolbanagher Queens
to Mary Ann Douglas
H/F William Pattison
W/F Simon Douglas

dont let the spelling put you off as its often down to dialog

audrey

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Audrey!  I'll keep that one in mind if I ever find something else that shows Mary's maiden name...

Offline Janet

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 05 10:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage of Mary Griffin/Griffith and John Fleming of Drumquin/Dromore area of Tyrone around 1834 give or take a few years.... can anyone help with a lookup.
There were 2 girls born  Jane and Margaret and both were aged 21 & 22 in 1854 so born around the same time as a marriage I assume.... and in the same area. Appreciate any help.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 May 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
sorry no births or marriage for John and Mary on BVRI
audrey

Offline Janet

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the lookup and appreciate your assistance.
Will keep looking for them. Janet

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

There are some Flemings in Co. Tyrone on this site -
http://groups.msn.com/FLEMMINGFAMILYSITE/landownersire1876.msnw

Best Wishes, Christopher