Author Topic: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON  (Read 24226 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON
« Reply #54 on: Friday 16 September 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes, I would expect to see Susan's given name on her father's d.c. provided she was alive when he died, and the informant knew of her.  However, rather than suggest you spend bucketloads of pennies on transcripts of all the NSW certs, I'm trying to think of the ones that would give you the most amount of reliable information for the least amount of penny spending.  So, in suggesting the 1859 civil registration for the birth of her bro, I am thinking that both his parents were alive, one would have provided the info (and be named as such) and the names on that cert would include all his older siblings as well. 

The information on a b.c. would be given at a time of joy. Perhaps the older siblings were with the informant when it was being registered, and so able to help with the information.  On the otherhand the information given on a d.c. is given when the family members are experiencing grief, so it may not be as reliable as a b.c.

I also think that the information on a m.c. can be reliable, especially where both the bride and groom have no previous marriages, and there's no suggestion of any hasty marriage.  However, there's rural civil NSW m.c's from those decades (1856 - at least 1895) where the vital family history info has not yet been included in the NSW BDM registrar's records (ie missing info includes the occupations of the bride and groom's fathers, the names (including nee names) of the parents of the bride and groom, the ages of the bride and groom, etc). 

Fingers crossed, and don't forget that of course there are many RChatters with better understanding than me of the NSW BDM processes.  

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 16 September 11 04:47 BST (UK) »

Please can someone explain the bit in bold below. I don't understand:
Also on the Earl Grey
Saml JENNER, 20,
native place Battle, Sussex (3 miles from Mountfield), gardener
son of Philadelphia JENNER, now married to Thomas LINDON

The way I read that is that this Samuel JENNER is the son of a person whose name was  Philadelphia JENNER, but who is, at the time of Samuel's emigration married to a Thomas LINDON.  I am not convinced that it is 'your' Philadelphia but another one.  Philadelphia seems a popular forename in that part of Sussex.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:03 BST (UK) »
Please can someone explain the bit in bold below. I don't understand:
Also on the Earl Grey
Saml JENNER, 20,
native place Battle, Sussex (3 miles from Mountfield), gardener
son of Philadelphia JENNER, now married to Thomas LINDON
The way I read that is that this Samuel JENNER is the son of a person whose name was  Philadelphia JENNER, but who is, at the time of Samuel's emigration married to a Thomas LINDON.  I am not convinced that it is 'your' Philadelphia but another one.  Philadelphia seems a popular forename in that part of Sussex.
Judith

Perhaps this Samuel's mother remarried as I can see this marriage & would explain the note on his immigration details:

Marriages Dec 1838 
JENNER Philadelphia m. SINDEN Thomas Battle #7/363

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:11 BST (UK) »
Well found Merlin,

Yes, the handwritten "L" and "S" have often been mis-transcribed. 

Agree with Judith, I am not yet convinced that this Samuel on the Earl Grey is the son of the "right" married lady, Mrs James (Philadelphia) Jenner.  (Hoping you all know which Philadelphia I am trying to clearly ID  ::) )

EDIT TO ADD,

I think it rather unusual for mothers to have a child born circa 1820 (Samuel), and still be having babies (George) nearly forty years later (1859) ; not impossible if Samuel was her first ... but !

Cheers,  JM. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:54 BST (UK) »
Had time to go back through my Orange booklets from my previous post here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,554933.msg4081254.html#msg4081254

I have found this  ;D

JENNER:

James Jenner born 1812 England; Died 16/9/1878 married Philadelphia Harvey born 1814 England; Died 20/6/1883.

Sarah Ann Jenner Died 3/4/1911 married Joseph Randall Born England Died 7/9/1885.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 16 September 11 06:00 BST (UK) »
Does the Orange booklet give any details of the children of James died 1878 and Philadelphia died 1883 ... particularly a birth clue for Susan  ;)

My fingers crossed and crossed and crossed  ;D

Cheers,  JM (trying to cross my toes as well)

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Had time to go back through my Orange booklets from my previous post here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,554933.msg4081254.html#msg4081254

Merlin - just to go back to my original post, please may I ask if William Burton (or any other Burton) is mentioned in your booklet about Orange?

William Burton married Susan Jenner (who was probably the daughter of James and Philadelphia Jenner) in the registration district of Orange NSW in 1878.

Thanks!

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 16 September 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
JENNER:
James Jenner born 1812 England; Died 16/9/1878 married Philadelphia Harvey born 1814 England; Died 20/6/1883.

That's excellent information, by the way. Many thanks  :)

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 16 September 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
Does the Orange booklet give any details of the children of James died 1878 and Philadelphia died 1883 ... particularly a birth clue for Susan

Found this information on someone's tree on Anc*****

Susanna Jenner
Birth 4 Feb 1862 in Kings Plains, New South Wales, Australia
Death 27 Mar 1884 in Orange, New South Wales, Australia

No source information though