Author Topic: William Fitzgerald  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Fitzgerald
« on: Monday 12 September 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I have hit a brick wall with this ancestor, working backward with him we have his date of death and location;- 30 June 1889 aged 71  in Winton, North Queensland Australia.   He had several children, married an Irish famine orphan in Ipswich, Qld in 1852.   His wife Bridget King was catholic.
Prior to this date we have no real idea as to where he was.
According to his death registration he had been in Australia since approximately 1836, making him about 18 when he arrived.   His father is listed as being William Fitzgerald, inn keeper/publican, and his place of birth was Nottingham.
I have made a fairly thorough (I think) search for a birth registration for him and have had a search through the publican index for the time without any success.
I have since thought that possibly William's birth may be recorded as a non-conformist but am at a loss as to where to look for such records.    Unfortunately we don't have a birthdate or year for him, but it is thought he was born circa 1818.
I have searched  through a lot of William Fitzgerald's that have come into Australia, both as free men and as convicts without any really strong connection.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Fitzgerald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail,

Can't offer a lot of help, but I would email  the Nottingham Archive and ask for their help, they seem to hold all the records, so I guess that's the place to start, they are a good crew, and I am sure will point you in the right direction.

archives[at][/blue]nottscc.gov.uk (Replace [at] with @)

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5

Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Fitzgerald
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion, have tried they previously (about 2 years ago), but worth a revisit.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail