Author Topic: Forest of Dean  (Read 10491 times)

Offline daisymac64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forest of Dean
« on: Monday 12 September 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all im in the process of traceing my Gramps Mums side,whilst googling i came across an article called'Gypsies in the Forest of Dean' the lady who wrote it said her Dad could remember 3 main Gypsy Families as a youngster in the Forest who he learnt Romany from ,one of the families was named Tippins which was Gramps Nans surname she was from the Forest of Dean but settled later on in life in Breconshire.ive traced her line back to 1810 and a baptism of Shadrack Tippins who was the son of Richard Tippins and Hannah York a chimney sweep,Richard i think ive found  on the 1851 census now living as a  pauper,Shadrack also went on to be Chimney sweep as did his brother Abednego(Bendingo)Tippins born in the Forest 1803,there was also a brother born Nataniel in 1821 not sure what he worked as who went on to marry one of the Crockett family.  Great Nans brother always jokingly said the Tippins were Gypsies as all that side were all and are very dark,im just curious to know if anyones heard of the Tippins before or maybe the article saying they were Gypsies and spoke Romany has got it wrong? Any help or advice would be great or any census details for this side of my family would be much appreciated,many thanks Daisy

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Forest of Dean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 17:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Daisy,

There are quite alot of different sites with information about the Tippins family, I found this little bit that I have pasted and copied for you, on this site
http://www.dance-family.com/scowles%20hamlet.htm

The Tippins family were among the earlier inhabitants. Margaret Tippins (1735) died there in 1819.Their coal-mining descendants continued to live at Scowles throughout the 19th century. 

Richard Tippins (1772-1856) who was christened at Ruardean in 1785 was a chimney sweep at Scowles in the early 1800s. He married Hannah York (1759-1865) at Newland in 1808 and had three sons, all born at Scowles, Shadrach (1808-1830), Abednego (Bendigo) (1803-1833), and Nathaniel (bapt. 1821). 

Nathaniel, a miner, married Elizabeth Crockett in 1844. Their children Richard (1844), Elizabeth (1850), Nathaniel (1855), and George (1858) were all born at Scowles.

A younger Richard Tippins (1873) the son of another Abednego attended Scowles school in the 1880s.

Richard's older brother, Scowles iron miner 19 year old William Tippins (1859), married a neighbour's daughter Sarah George (1856) in 1877. They migrated to New Zealand a year later on board the 'Maraval' with 3 months old Benjamin. 

Their sister Jessie Tippins (1869) married Worcestershire labourer John Christopher Pendry (1862-1939) at Coleford in 1887. Her children Matilda (Bradley) (1887), William Percy (1892), Oswald (1895) and Elsie Doris (1899) were all born at Scowles and attended the school.

That Abednego Tippins (1825-1884) a collier who had married Ann Beach (1826) was shown as blind on the 1881 census.

Their eldest son Shadrach  was born in 1851 and married Mary Maria Rudge (1849) in 1875. His first child Emma (1877) was born at Scowles but this collier's family had moved a short distance north to the Hillersland/Christchurch area when Ellen Jane was born in 1879. She was followed by Thomas William (1881), Arthur Henry (1884) and William (1891).

Regards
Lyne

Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
Me Daughters just shown me the replies to her thread,Wow! Thanks for all that info its great,i just need to tie in my Grt Nans lot with these i havent got the info at hand as im at work but im sure our line goes back to a Jesse or Richard Tippins chimney sweep but will double check.No sign of a Gypsy connection then?Strange the article entitled 'Gypsies in the Forest of Dean' on the net saying they were?it also said the Tippins and others were living on land behind a Colliery ill check and find out which one ,im pretty sure my Tippins were from Ruardean and ended up in Wales but i havent got any census info ?Thanks again Duncan

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 11 11:23 BST (UK) »

Hi Duncan,

I found this as well.

1851 East Dean
TIPPINS William 45 Coal Miner East Dean
Letitia 44 Eston Herefordshire
Sarah 22 East Dean
Jane 18 East Dean
Francis 15 Coal Miner East Dean
Margaret 12 East Dean
Susan 9 East Dean

1861 Ruardean Hill
Francis Tippins abt 1836 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
John Tippins abt 1860 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Louisa Tippins abt 1839 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
William Tippins abt 1858 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Elizabeth Tippings abt 1854 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Thomas Tippings abt 1852 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Latilia Tippins abt 1807 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Mother East Dean Gloucestershire
Loussia Tippins abt 1837 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Thomas Tippins abt 1835 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
William Tippins abt 1858 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Albert Tippings abt 1875 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Charlotte Tippings abt 1870 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Eliza Tippings abt 1872 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Francis Tippings abt 1836 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Fredrick Tippings abt 1879 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
George Tippings abt 1864 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
James Tippings abt 1867 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
John Tippings abt 1860 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Louisa Tippings abt 1838 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
William Tippings abt 1858 Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

1891 Morse Lane
Sippeu, Eudith F abt 1890 Morse, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
Sippeu, Julia H abt 1865 Morse, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Sippeu, Maurice E M abt 1889 Morse, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Sippeu, William abt 1858 Ruardean; Hill, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Gloucestershire

1901 Morse Lane
Blann A G Tippins abt 1897 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Herefordshire
Eddith F Tippins abt 1891 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Herefordshire
Francis J W Tippins abt 1893 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Herefordshire
Julia H Tippins abt 1866 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Herefordshire
Maurice C M Tippins abt 1889 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Herefordshire
Norma E Tippins abt 1900 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Herefordshire
Phyllis G Tippins abt 1895 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Herefordshire
Rose F Tippins abt 1887 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Herefordshire
William Tippins abt 1858 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Herefordshire

Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
1841 HO107/364/7
Ruardean Hill
Registration district: Ross
Sub-registration district: Ross
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Folio: 25
Page: 20
Wm Tippins abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Leticia Tippins abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Eliza Tippins abt 1831 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Francis Tippins abt 1836 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Jane Tippins abt 1834 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Mary Tippins abt 1837 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Sarah Tippins abt 1829 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Wm Tippins abt 1839 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire

Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 11 11:37 BST (UK) »

I found this on the rootsweb site its from 2003.

Jonathan TIPPING/TIPPINS was born in Weston-under-Penyard in 1687. He married Elizabeth Morgan there in 1712 and was buried there in 1756. His parents were William (bur. 1707) and Experience (bur. 1716) TIPPINS. They also had children Mary (bap. 1684) and William (bap. 1690) but I have not found their marriage in Weston-under-Penyard or indeed anywhere in Herefordshire. 'Experience' is such an unusual name and as she was born circa 1650 it is presumably the result of the influence of the Puritans during the Cromwellian period when similar names proclaiming virtues such as 'Charity', 'Prudence' and 'Patience' flourished. I would be interested to know of her marriage to William. Jonathan and all the subsequent generations of the TIPPINS family in my line lived in the Forest of Dean (Ruardean and Mitcheldean) so it would seem that they were married somewhere in that area, perhaps Experience's home parish was over the border in Gloucestershire.

Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, Duncan, Daisie and all,

Try Tappin(s).  I remember somewhere that this is a variation on Tapsell (Gypsy).

Given the degree of illiteracy, a small change of accent can sometimes be the key.

And the location would be in keeping with that theory as well.

Vince.

Offline daisymac64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all thanks Nettie for all the census info and Vince for the tip,i have just checked the net page i got info from it says the Tippins who were Gypsies and spoke Romany lived in the Woods behind Crump Meadow Colliery?i think the authors got the name wrong or the info wrong as its not showing the family as Romany on the census apart from the fact Shadrack and Bendigo etc were chimney sweeps.my Dads Tippins line is thru Richard Tippins chimney sweep whos daughter married into i think the Mason family who werent Gypsies,so it looks like the author of the piece got it wrong,and this side of my Dads lot weren Romany,thanks for all the help tho and ive told me Dad to start his own thread next time!Ta Daisy

Offline wrjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Forest of Dean - Tippins
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
My husband is the grandson of William Shadrack Tippins (1890-1916) widow, Kyziah Hinton, from Coleford.  They had 2 girls -  Kathleen Nellie Tippins (1915 - 1919) and Florence May (1916- 2007).
Kyziah married Arthur Herbert Corbett in 1918 both having met in a convalescent home after WWI and moved to Birmingham, Arthur's home town.