Author Topic: Eviction / Connolly / Bowen Search  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eviction / Connolly / Bowen Search
« on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
In 1883 a relation of mine Martin Connolly was evicted from a small-holding in Ovidstown Co. Kildare. family folklore has it that he moved to Mullingar.  But I can't find any trace of him.  Any bright ideas as to how I could trace this man would be much appreciated.

Shiraz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victim of Eviction / Connolly Search
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
Have you checked for him in 1901 and 1911 census yet?

Any idea of his age/date of birth? online civil registration covers death 1864-1958.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
I have looked on the census sites and failed to find him.  As my information on him is so vague, I'm not too hopeful.  His father William Connolly was the original registered tenant from 1840 to 1868 when he died and Martin took over the lease from then until the eviction in 1883.

Shiraz

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Assistance required: William Connolly listed in Griffiths valuations as being the tenant of a smallholding in Ovidstown Townland in the parish of Straffan from 1840 'til his death in 1868. Initially the landlord was Nathaniel Barton who also died about 1868.  His son Major Hugh Barton became the new landlord and the smallholding tenant was William's son Martin who remained the tenant until 1883 when the family were evicted.  I am unable to find any trace of Martin Connolly...either before or after the eviction, don't know if he was married had children or when or where he died.  Family folklore says he moved to Westmeath, possibly Mullingar. But I can't locate him anywhere.Any ideas or assistance would be most welcome.   Shiraz

Moderator Note : Merged with previous topic

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Eviction / Connolly / Bowen Search
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on Bowen Family of Kildare.  Particularly relating to Elizabeth Bowen who was married to William Connolly, they were tenants of the Barton family and farmed a smallholding at Ovidstown.  On Williams death in 1867 the tenancy went to his son Martin.  Would be grateful if I could find BMD details on any of the above people.
Shiraz

Moderator Note : Merged with previous topic on the Connolly/Bowen family at Ovidstown