Author Topic: John Montgomery in San Francisco  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Montgomery in San Francisco
« on: Sunday 04 September 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace the Montgomery branch that moved to San Francisco in the very late 1800s to very early 1900s.
My wife has a John Montgomery (her Gr Gr Grandfather) married to Catherine McIntyre in her family tree. They married on the Holy Isle, Arran in 1882. One of their children also called John Montgomery (birth date unknown) who married a Joan (last name unknown) who inturn then went on to have a child they named John Montgomery.
His last known whereabouts was in San Francisco and if still alive today would be in his late 70s to 80s.
Any information appreciated, Thanks
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Montgomery in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

this may or may not be of interest to you

1930 US Census Oakland, Alameda, California

John M Montgomery, head, m, w, age 39, age at first marriage 30, no post secondary education, can read and write, born Scotland, both parents born Scotland, immigrated 1922, Naturalization pending, steam engine machinist

Joan M Montgomery, wife, f, w, age 36, age at first marriage 34, no post secondary education, can read and write, born England, father born Denmark, mother England, immigrated 1924, alien, no occupation

John R Montgomery, son, m. w. age 1 10/12, born California, father Scotland, mother England

this may be his birth (lists a maiden name that might help you)

John Richard Montgomery
18 May 1928
Male 
Mother's Maiden Name:    Thedens 
Birth County:    San Francisco 

from Ellis Island

arrival Oct 29, 1922 from Glasgow, SS Cameronia
John McIntrye Montgomery age 31, married, Marine Engineer, wife Mrs. Mary Montgomery, 10 Murray Place, Lamlash, Arran, destination Tottenville, NY (friend John Forrester, 178 Manhattan Street, Tottnville, NY, coming to be permanent status in US

let me know if this looks likely and I will see what else can be found

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,
This sounds spot on to what I'm looking for  ;D and although I don't possess the age/birth details about John or his wife. Comparing it to cousins within the tree, the age does appear correct (this makes his birth year 1891- correct to others within that generation line) . I'll have to inquire further to ascertain wether this was Joan's maiden name. But everything does seem to fit even what would be the approx age of John Montgomery now (if still around).
What is also interesting in the Ellis Island entry, is the friend John Forrester. Although that particular person is not in the family tree the surname Forrester is- as Uncle (name unknown, approx age in 1922 60+ years old) by marrage and of course cousin (George Forrester B: 1889 approx age in 1922 33 years old).
Thank you (keeping my fingers crossed)
Yoric  ;) ;)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

This may be your John Montgomery born 1928

Name:    John R. Montgomery
SSN:    075-26-8178 
Last Residence:    91344  Granada Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Born:    18 May 1928
Died:    15 Apr 1993
State (Year) SSN issued:    New York (Before 1951 )

with the date and place of death you could try to get an obit to see what is mentioned about his parents, etc.
Try RAOGK to find someone in California to assist you with that.

Also I know you can request the copy of the SSN papers but am not sure how to do that. Maybe someone else can explain how to proceed with that.

this may be something you have seen but there is an entry for your John Montgomery on another website  that has his first marriage to Mary Fullarton who died in 1923 (it also lists his siblings).

http://awt.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mccabe1148&id=I5373&ti=5542

ID: I5567
Name: John McIntyre MONTGOMERY
Sex: M
Birth: 1891 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland

Father: James Cook MONTGOMERY b: ABT. 1854 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Mother: Violet MCINTYRE b: 20 MAR 1871 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Marriage 1 Mary Christian FULLARTON b: 27 MAR 1899 in Blairmore, Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Married: 1921 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland

ID: I5332
Name: James Cook MONTGOMERY
Sex: M
Birth: ABT. 1854 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Death: 15 DEC 1929 in Lamlash, Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Event: Death Informant: J. MONTGOMERY - son - of 11 Lansdowne Crescent, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Father: Alexander MONTGOMERY b: ABT. 1808 in Kilmory Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Mother: Ann COOK b: ABT. 1811 in Kilmory Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Marriage 1 Violet MCINTYRE b: 20 MAR 1871 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Married: 1890 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Children
 Janet Elizabeth MONTGOMERY b: 1891 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 John McIntyre MONTGOMERY b: 1891 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 Ann Cook MONTGOMERY b: 1895 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 Violet McIntyre MONTGOMERY b: 1898 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 Edith May MONTGOMERY b: 1899 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland

Marriage 1 Catherine MCINTYRE b: 24 JAN 1859 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Married: 29 NOV 1882 in Holy Isle, Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Event: Witnesses: in John W. INGLIS and Jeanie McINTYRE
Event: Bride's Age: in 23 years
Event: Groom's Age: in 30 years
Event: Groom's Marital Status: in Bachelor
Event: Bride's Marital Status: in Spinster
Event: Groom's Occupation: in Joiner (Journeyman)
Event: Bride's Occupation: in Domestic Servant
Event: Clergy : in Rev. Malcolm McLean - Minister of Brodick
Event: Bride's Residence: in Holy Isle, Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Event: Groom's Residence: in Lamlash, Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
Children
 Janet Taylor MONTGOMERY b: ABT. 1883 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 Annie Cook MONTGOMERY b: ABT. 1885
 John McIntyre MONTGOMERY b: 1891
 Alexander MONTGOMERY b: 1893 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland
 Catherine McIntyre MONTGOMERY b: 1896 in Kilbride Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland

all these listings are by the same person so looks like some information may have been incorrect and been adjusted.

Hope some of this helps you

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 05 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am guessing that this is the family of your Joan Montgomery possibly nee Thedens - father born in Denmark, mother in England, born 1893

1901 British census

Peter Thedens  38 Denmark Pellworm B Subj Lancashire Liverpool Bacon Curer
Elizth Thedens  38 Westmorland Milthorpe Lancashire Liverpool
Michael Thedens  11 Lanc Liverpool Lancashire Liverpool
Richard Thedens  9 Lanc Liverpool Lancashire Liverpool
Johanna Thedens  7 Lanc Liverpool Lancashire Liverpool

and this could be her birth

Births Jun 1893
Thedens  Johanna Margretha     W. Derby  8b 327

I can't find her immigrating under Montgomery or Thedens and there appear to be no Thedens born in England in the 1930 census in the USA. Maybe the name is indexed wrong on the ship lists or maybe she came through Canada or another US port.

once again, good luck

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,
Thanks for the link. It proves to be a great source of missing information regarding the Montgomery family in Arran and will keep me busy for days to come.
Some details differ from what I received from the Arran Heritage Museum regards John McIntyre Montgomery (1891).
According to them; the parents were John Montgomery and Catherine McIntyre not James Cook Montgomery and Violet McIntyre.
John and James were brothers. Catherine and Violet were sister. Brothers married sister. Both couples each had a son they named John McIntyre Montgomery ???
John and Catherine's son was born in 1891.
Whilst James and Violet's son wasn't born until 1908 and in 1929 was recorded as living at 11 Lansdown Crescent, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The marriage to Mary Christian Fullarton is correct though and would have been the Mary Montgomery (nee: Fullarton) that arrived at Ellis Island in 1922. They married in 1921 and she died in 1923. I'm guessing he married Joan Thedans when he was already living in the U.S.A. As in the 1930 US Oakland Census it states that she didn't immigrated until 1924.
I think having these two John McIntyre Montgomery's on the same generation line causes confusion So either the Arran Heritage Museum has incorrect records or the website compiler has. Only death records are going to clear up which is correct.
Oh ??? by the way what is RAOGK and SSN papers (sorry new to genealogy research :-[)
Once again thank you for all your help Thelma it is very, very much appreciated :-*.
Stewart

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

RAOGK is Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. There are volunteers all over the world who will help with research in their local area, so you would need to look for someone close to where your John Montgomery died that could look for an obit and/or cemetery listings. A map of California would be helpful. Please make only one request every two weeks or the admin will remove your request (to avoid duplication of volunteer time and overloading of volunteers)
http://www.raogk.org/index.html

SSN - Social Security Number - all US citizens are required to have one to work, collect pensions, etc. When a person applies for one they fill out a form about personal information and when someone dies that form will include next of kin, etc. I live in Canada so am not sure how to request this information but I do know it is available for a fee (I believe about $35 US ??)

075-26-8178  - this is John R Montgomery's SSN

I think that some of the confusion may be that the information listed on the website may be old (it is very difficult to remove this type of outdated info so some people leave there and just update with new information as they go along). You can contact the compiler of this information by going to this site and using the email option
http://www.mccabeclan.com/

Perhaps this gentleman would be interested in comparing information about the Montgomery family.

Good luck

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma :D,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've done as you suggested and contacted the compiler of the site and hopefully will be able to compare notes if their interested.
I would have never heard guessed what RAOGK stood for, but hopfully it will prove fruitful. Thanks for the SSN number I'll try to use it to good effect.
Much appreciated,
Stewart. :D

Offline tensheds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re.john montgomery in San francisco
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 September 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi. Yogic
I would say without a doubt that your Joan montgomery is my fathers sister.
She left Liverpool abt. 1908 bound Canada with many other young girls from
the orphanages.She shows up in the 1911 Quebece census as a domestic servant.
Our father is Michael.RIchard was killed in WW1.
I should be pleased to hear of any other family connections
Ten sheds