Author Topic: Early divorce in Wales  (Read 706 times)

Offline Juliepen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Early divorce in Wales
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking for something else, and came across this on a web site.  Cant make up my mind if I'd feel hard done by or not!!

Extracted from the book "The Tribal System in Wales" by F Seebohm 1904.
I cannot tell you how complex the Ancient customs and traditions relating to blood relationships and property ownership were, it is truly mind-boggling. However there is this one section that discusses the Dimetian, Gwentian and Venedotian Codes that has a piece that may be of topical interest and relates the system used for sharing the property of the ordinary married Welsh tribesman at the breakdown of a marriage pre the Norman Conquest, and beyond to a degree.
" If a man takes a wife by gift of kindred and leave her before the end of seven years, let him pay her agweddi to her.... if she be left after the end of seven years let there be an equal sharing between them, unless the privilege of the husband entitle him to more. The wife’s father paid [an agweddi to the husband on consummation of her marriage]. Beyond that,certain things were specially named as to be given to the husband and certain things to the wife."
Here is the list;
"The swine to the husband, and the sheep to the wife,[or] if there be only one kind they are to be shared.
If there be sheep and goats, the sheep to the husband and the goats to the wife.....
Of the children, two shares to the father, and one to the mother; the oldest and youngest to the father and the middle-most to the mother.
The household furniture is to be thus shared.
All the milking vessels except one pail go to the wife.
All the dishes except one dish go to the wife.
The wife is to have the car [?] and the yoke to convey her furniture from the house.
The husband is to have all the drinking vessels.
The husband the riddle, the wife the small sieve.
The husband the upper stone of the quern, the wife the lower.
The clothes that are over them to the wife,; the clothes that are under them to the husband...
To the husband the kettle, the bed coverlet, the bolster of the dormitory, the coulter, the fuel axe, the auger, the settle, and all the hooks save one.
To the wife the pan, the trivet, the broad axe, the hedge bill, the ploughshare, all the flax, the linseed, the wool, the house bag with its contents except gold and silver [which are to be shared].
If there be webs, they are to be shared.
The yarn balls to the children [if any]; if none then shared.
The husband is to have the barn, and all the corn above ground and underground.
The husband the poultry and one of the cats, the rest to the wife.
The provisions are thus to be shared;
To the wife the meat in the brine, and the cheese in the brine; and after they are hung up to the husband.
To the wife the vessels of butter in cut, the meat in cut, and the cheese in cut.
To the wife as much of the meal as she can carry between her arms and knees from the storeroom into the house.
As there is no mention of the cattle which were presumably the main part of the da [separate assets] of both husband and wife they were presumably equally divided."
Butson, Barn(e)s, Hartnoll, Reed in Devon,
Shepherd, Turner, Hadley, in Birmingham
Price, Evans, Jones, Morgan, Brecknock
Hill in Malvern
James, Lewis in Glamorgan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Early divorce in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that Julie  :)

Love the bit about the car  - I presume cart  :-\

Think I'll settle for that but I'd rather have the dogs than the cats and I'm not too sure about the sheep and the goats and if I get the clothes above us how come he gets the bed coverlet  :-\

I don't think my Dad paid agweddi though  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 07 14:50 GMT (UK) »
This was all laid down by law by King Hywel Dda (Hywel the Great) in the 9th century.

It also gives reasons for a wife to be able to divorce her husband.

If her husband is leprous or of stinking breath or cannot copulate with his wife: if because of one of these things she leaves her husband, she is entitled to get the whole of what is hers.

Imagine the field day the Sun would have with that today!
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 07 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Seemed a lot fairer in those days and cut out the middle men ;D.
I'm glad about the drinking vessels too.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire