Author Topic: Thomas Wiles/Jenkins  (Read 2938 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Thomas Wiles/Jenkins
« on: Wednesday 14 September 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
My great grandfathers brother was Thomas Jenkins (1865-1918). For a long time I searched in vain for a record of his birth. One major problem was inaccuracies on his census entries - he always listed different locations (usually places where he had lived during his life - ironically none turned out to be his true birthplace). Anyway, I stumbled upon the following.

Through his railway records I discovered that he was born on the 2 January 1865. Using his mother's maiden name I found his birth certificate. He was born in Eardisland and nobody is named as the father. His mother married Charles Jenkins in Eardisland on the 11 May 1865. From the 1871 census onwards he is down as Thomas Jenkins, even on his death certificate. So I assumed that he was indeed the son of Charles Jenkins.

However, I next discovered that Thomas wasn't christened until the 26 November 1865. He was christened in Marden, which was the longtime home of the family of Charles Jenkins. For some reason he was christened as Thomas Wiles the son of Ann Wiles. At this time Ann was married to Charles Jenkins. Between then and September 1866, the young family had relocated miles away in Ruthin, Denbighshire. Thomas never married, so there is no marriage certificate to check up on who he believed his father was.

So I was wondering if anybody had any opinion as to whether Charles Jenkins was likely the father or not? Why was Ann not using her married name for the christening?

Offline Chris19

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wiles/Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A random search led me to this site and your post regarding Thomas Wiles/Jenkins.  Did you ever find any more information? 

Regards

Chris19