Author Topic: "the marsh" harrogate  (Read 2930 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"the marsh" harrogate
« on: Thursday 15 September 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
hi
has any one heard of this place name. it could be a lodging house, residence,hotel.inn or just about anywhere that someone would give as an address. probably from around the late 1960's

ta
perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: "the marsh" harrogate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Just tried googling it, Marsh seems to be a common surname in Harrogate which creates a lot of confusion. Why not google up an old map from the 1960s and look at that?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
I know it is not relevant to your enquiry but there was an area of Middlesbrough called "The Marsh" and the "Far Marsh" probably because it was reclaimed land from the river area.

James

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Further thoughts, I wonder if this place was located near to "The Stray" which is an open space near the town centre.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
thanks roger and macintosh.
i still cant find any mention of anything to do with the marsh in harrogate.
intersting that you menton middlsboro though.
the person im looking for was the father of a child that he didnt know about. the mother was from middlsboro though. the mother at the time was working in harrogate so i assumed maybe the father was aswell. i will have a rethink and search out the marsh in middlsboro. if you have any info on it i would appreciate it

atb
perth
 :) :)
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
Perth,
What I have is that the North Side of Middlesbrough  began in the 1830s, it was the first part of the area that industry here took hold, mainly as a result of coal being shipped from Port Darlington from the Durham coal fields, the railway ended here at the coal staithes which loaded ships to send the coal south, this was on the south bank of the river tees between what is now the transporter bridge and the Newport Bridge, gradually more industry grew until the discovery of ironstone in the Cleveland Hills and then the iron smelting began primarily as a result of the German industrialist Henry Bolkow's vision.  gradually the area began to attract people from other areas as the industry grew and more and more iron puddling furnaces were built, housing was needed, the usual back to back hovels and yards and closes, called ginnels elsewhere. this part of the town was known as "the Marsh" The Far Marsh and "over the border" Really just an area of poor housing and ever increasing iron works, each area with a demarcation line  of perhaps a road or other unnofficial boundary. All this disappeared in the 1960s when the slum clearances began and they still haven't got it right. We have what could be a fantastic river frontage and the council still fail to make use of such a wonderful resource and quality housing, whereas just a little further upriver Stockton have done a fine job and used the river to it's full advantage. (that's my rant over)
The Teesside Archives in Middlesbrough have a set of maps from the early beginning to 1960s that give the areas and street names.
This is only a thumb nail sketch and condensed, there is much more in the way of books and other publications from the Middlesbrough Archives.
You can also use the Tees Valley Indexes to possibly locate the person you seek from Middlesbrough.

James

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
Just another thought  - if the mother was from Middlesbrough and working in Harrogate it is likely  she was employed in the Hotel or Catering trade, as Harrogate was and still is a town that attracted people to holiday there, similarly Scarborough and towns in the Lake Distict were a magnet for young girls to go and work  in these establishments.

Doesn't follow that the father would have travelled with her, was he a native of Harrogate?

James

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 September 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there

If "the marsh" wasnt the one in Middlebrough, in Harrogate it could be
the area around Valley Gardens, Lower Harrogate.  This used to be called
"Bogs field" due to springs being found there years ago.  As you know
Harrogate is a Spa town.
Being a Yorkie I know we tend to call things and places with our own
way of thinking so this might be what you are looking for and I think
the marsh would be a posh way of saying Bogs field, it is Harrogate
afterall lol.

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
thanks sandy and james
i had a look earlier at what i gather is the right area in middlsboro. the mother was from this area also. at one time she lived in derwent street. im assuming now that been a local herself she would have just called the area by what she knew "the marsh" and never really knew the proper address or didnt want to disclose it.
the mother was in harrogate working at the apprentice school in catering and this is were we assumed she must have met the father with him been a chef.
we think the father was from wigan originally but could be wrong, its just that the dates for him match that one.

:) :)
yorkshire