Author Topic: tracing my uncle  (Read 958 times)

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
tracing my uncle
« on: Thursday 15 September 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my uncle, George Leonard Harrison/Challinor.  He was born 4th June 1901 in Gainsborough.  I believe he lived with his grandmother Charlotte Elizabeth Smith - he was with her on the 1911 census at the back of 23  Market Street , Gainsborough, but his name was written as Leonard George Harrison.  He was registered under the  surname Challinor which was his mother's name.  His parents were not married when he was born. I cannot find anything about him after the 1911 census.
I wonder if I could look at School records or Electoral rolls from 1922 when he would be of age.
I would so appreciate some help with this - I really don't know where to look

Loz57

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: tracing my uncle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls are arranged by address, not indexed by name.
All you could do with that is keep checking 'family' addresses after the 1911 census to see if he ends up with cousins or the like.

School records, I don't know about.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: tracing my uncle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice.  It's a pity the 1921 census is so long away - a little trinket of information was that he moved south after his mother died in 1918 but I really don't know where to start.  I've looked at marriages but it's impractical to buy every marriage certificate in the hope of finding the right one.

Loz57