Author Topic: Church [Rock] Cemetery  (Read 1604 times)

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church [Rock] Cemetery
« on: Friday 16 September 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Has anyone else had problems locating graves in this cemetery?

I visited the other day to look for 2 graves - after finding the records at the archives of interment and grave nos. The first one I looked for I couldnt find but just put this down to bad luck and age of the grave [1878]. One of the groundmen VERY kindly took pity on me and went to get the map for the section I was looking at - Green Holy. The map of graves contained within this section did not show the grave number that I was looking for - so he could only conclude that the grave wasnt in the section that the interment record said it was in!!!

I asked him about the other grave and he again VERY kindly went to get the map of graves for that section - Church. He tried Church Back, Church Gardens, Church Vaults and then Church Rock. After this he looked through all the other sections he could think of - and guess what? - no record of the grave number. I even helped him look!!! [yes....I had one of those incredibly sort after and valuable maps in my hands for a short period!! lol] As he said, putting the section 'church' on the interment record is not helpful as it covers about 2/3 of the cemetery!!

I have been back to the archives today to double check the grave numbers but I did indeed make a correct note of their numbers. I have now got to phone Wilford Hill and argue the toss with them because they cannot be located!!!

I just wondered if anyone else had suffered the same problems????
Areas: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Church [Rock] Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lainie

I can imagine your disappointment and hope you didn't travel too far. I know that Notts Archives are excellent but in this instance something has not gone right. I see from your profile that you are local. ( I must say it is a nice change for someone to fill in their location on their profile - well done, I do get a bit stroppy when they don't bother). I suppose there are local council records as well as the archives. I don't know whether this helps but I do know a man that gives guided tours of the Rock cemetery. I don't know if this could help. I will send you a PM. If you send me as many details as you can I will see if he can help. If you are not local please let me know, or if you are where are you?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Thank you for your kind offer - I have pm'd you with the details.

How on earth did your friend get involved with giving guided tours of the cemetery? Do they do tours often? I have never heard about this - I may well try to go on one of them.

I have to say that Wilford Hill were helpful the last time I got in touch with them regarding a grave at Wilford Hill - but I think that this very much depends upon who you get to speak with. I am hoping that if the interment record doesnt show accurately where they are buried in the graveyard then they will help me with this. Having seen the maps - I bet their hearts sink to get an enquiry like this.

I will wait to see if your friend can help first - before putting both them and me through the searching process.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Did you have any luck with the person you know who does the tours?

Many thanks.

Elaine