Author Topic: shipping records for ssCity of London 1855  (Read 21084 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shipping records for ssCity of London 1855
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 18 September 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
Seaweed, having reread your posts I understand what you're saying is that the vessel reported in the Mercury was not reg.26349.Are the crew agreements before 1861 not in the archives?
Is it possible to find the name of the captain of the other "City of London"? I could search the papers again!
Would the movements of this steamship be mentioned in the shipping news? Would it have been mainly working round the coasts of Britain?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I know you're the man with the answers!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 18 September 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
The vessel seems to have been working out of Gravesend. I found it arriving from Dunkirk on May 17th & June 13th. This seems to have been a regular run. Of course William may not have been aboard the ship at the time of his death. He may have been to ill to work, but if we could find out which port the ship visited prior to 8th June it may pinpoint a possible place where his death was registered.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 18 September 11 13:16 BST (UK) »
I've now found that the ship arrived in Gravesend on 6th June 1855. Don't know when it sailed but arrived back in Gravesend on 13th. The round trip seemed to take about a week.
flst

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 18 September 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
flst.
I looked in the British library newspaper archive. Are you referring to the article in the Morning Chronicle (London, England), Thursday, June 14, 1855; Issue 27602?
If so then this vessel is also a sailing ship, possibly the CITY OF LONDON o/n 18847 registered in Maldon Essex. You will note the letter "S" in brackets after her name. This would indicate she was a sailing vessel.
It's very difficult to find vessels when there is more than one with the same name but I am convinced the one we are looking for is the Paddle steamer with the O/N 26349. She was quite a large ship for the time, 1067 grt, so could have made trips to the Crimea with little problem. (see post 1)

I think  lyndyloo6  needs to look in Lloyds Lists for 1855 to see if CITY OF LONDON 26349 is there and what voyages she made.
there are copies here
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Lloyd's Register Library
Shiprow
Aberdeen AB11 5BY

There may well be a crew agreement there or they may be able to direct you to a source. Crew Agreements before 1861 may exist but there is no easy way to find them that is why I suggested that the original poster look in BT114
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 18 September 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.. I will pop into the Maritime Museum tomorrow as it is on the quay and round the corner from Commerce street.  I had already looked it up and kinda thought about going in to see what was what in there.  I am so gratefull to all of you fo giving me a hand once again.....

Regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 18 September 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
 Thanks seaweed, I've certainly been barking up the wrong tree regarding the voyages!Yes, the information I quoted was from that edition of the "Morning Chronicle"
This seems to confirm your info.regarding the "City of London"
I've googled the owners & found this;
The Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company
In 1821 the Aberdeen Steam Navigation company began to operate a service from Aberdeen Wharf, Limehouse.
It employed a number of small sailing craft and, by 1828, steamers. In 1844 a 1100 tons cargo and passenger carrying steamer, The City of London, was added to it's fleet.
I'll keep on hunting.
The Maritime Museum is a wonderful place to visit. They may have some information on the Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company & maybe even the "City of London". I  recall a previous request I had with them regarding crew agreements & they didn't have any. Wish I remembered who they suggested I try! 

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 18 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
No worries flst. We all continue to live and learn. A search of the internet says the company records of the Aberdeen SN co. are held at the Special Collections Library, King's College.
Aberdeen. There may be something there.

regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed,
I've found out that the City of London was to run in conjunction with the City of Aberdeen on the Aberdeen -London route. It had 110 berths. I've found advertisements in the Aberdeen newspapers for this route but in 1855 the vessel named is the Commodore. When I looked at the articles regarding the Crimea War I noted that that "City of London" was captained by Captain Cargill .This ship had (no.66) after it's name. Also mentioned was the "City of Aberdeen",transport, (202). Is this a coincidence or do you think these may be the steamers?
What do you think?
flst

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 September 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Answering my own questions here!
From "The Ships List" I can confirn that both the "City of London" & "City of Aberdeen" were requisitioned for the Crimean War.
flst