Author Topic: What happened to Lucy Hopton?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What happened to Lucy Hopton?
« on: Saturday 17 September 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'd love some help regarding a Lucy Sarah Hopton, or could be known as Upton born 1865 in Birmingham. She married my gt grandfather George Alfred Smith (c.1867) in 1888 in Birmingham. I have the marriage certificate of this.

They lived together, and moved to Birkenhead, then in 1911, she is listed as still married, but with no George in the household, and he can be seen living with my gt grandmother Jane Caunce, now listed as wife of 6 years. I know this isn't true because I located and bought the certificate for their marriage which was in 1933.

By this time George is saying he's a widower. So what I'm wondering is this - Can anybody find out what happened to Lucy Sarah Hopton after 1911, when she died possibly? I know it's such a common name though. :/

There's a death for a Lucy S Smith in 1933 which could be her, birth works out at approx 1867 which isn't too far out. Except this is the same quarter as my great grandparents married. Wondering if anybody can find another possibility before I buy the cert...? :)

Lisa
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Lucy Hopton?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya Lisa
www.cheshirebmd.org.uk tells us her name was Lucy Sarah Smith aged 66 and her death was registered in Wallasey,Wirral  - if that helps
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hiya Allan,

Thanks so much. I stupidly looked in Lancashirebmd and not Cheshire for the information and of course it didn't show up 

This is most likely her, with the middle name Sarah - there doesn't seem to be many others around.

Seems probable that my gt. grandfather was still in touch with the family then (He must have married right after her death), or it was notified in the newspapers. Are there any other records besides burial which are likely to be available do you know for a woman between 1911-1933 living in Birkenhead/Seacombe?

Thank you again,
Lisa.
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
EDIT: Double post.
Denbighshire - Morris

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
I would say at 66 she was b 1866...- you say 1865....looks a likely to me ... do you think they divorced ?....It looks to me as if he waited until Lucy Sarah died and then he married Jane Caunce in dec qtr 1933 in Liverpool...have you found the marriage on Lancsbmd ?...there is also an Elizabeth Caunce to an Herbert Smith ??same year and both say Register Office or Registrar attended ....I wonder ?...might be related somewhere / possibly a double wedding....now that would wreck your head ...lol
allan :o
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Lisa - you could try
www.yoliverpool.com  then go to Districts - Wider Merseyside - Birkenhead / Wallasey ....it`s a free site, so just register and have a surf of the site...if you have an address even better for you...post a request on the Wallasey or Birkenhead or Genealogy threads.....nothing to lose ...more irons in the fire ..
allan

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

No I think that he just waited until she had died. All the children of Jane and George believed they were already married and knew nothing of the "other" family at all. So I was surprised he appears to have known about her death, because he must have kept in touch with them without letting on to the children... even perhaps Jane. I mean, they only lived off Smithdown in Liverpool.

I'll try that website too. :) Thanks. I have an address for Jane that was on the census, and that's in Seacombe but she might have moved around the Wirral. Many of Lucy and George's children appear to marry in Catholic churches, (The family otherwise appear to be Christian CoE) in Liverpool itself and then settle there.

I think the double marriage might be a coincidence but I'll definitely look into it, thanks for letting me know! I wouldn't have done a search of Caunce/Smith otherwise again as I've already got the marriage certificate for them.

I've contacted Wallasey Cemetery to see if I can have a search done as well.

Anyway, thanks for your help  ;D

Lisa.
Denbighshire - Morris

Offline Ponsan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa
I have just read your post. I cannot help you will Lucy Hopton. However, i think I can give you a little more information about this family. I think all your deductions about just waiting until Lucy died before he married Jane are correct.  However, I noticed one point which I don’t think is right .I am a grand daughter of George and Jane. My mother was the youngest child and my grandmother and my mum lived together in Liverpool after my grandfather died. They lived in Gainsborough road Wavertree . I know that my grandmother was still living there in the 1950s and as far as I know this is where she died. So as you can see that is why I am a little confused at your reference to Seacombe. I also know that she is buried in Allerton cemetery Liverpool.
Hope this helps. Carol