Author Topic: Mcmahon  (Read 3338 times)

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mcmahon
« on: Sunday 18 September 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
I am unable to find marriage of my gg grandfather and gg grandmother Lucy Mcmahon and Charles Hanrahan. I have searched on various sites and found nothing. My g grandmother was born 1864 in Limerick Ellen Hanrahan. I have her birth cert where it shows her mother as Lucy Hanrahan , formerly Mcmahon any ideas please! Thanks
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Hannahan/ Hanrahan Limerick
Steward stepney

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mcmahon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
what sources have you tried ?

based on the date of birth for Ellen the marriage would be before the start of full civil registration, so if they were RC you would need to check parish records. What denomination were your McMahon/Hanrahan family and which parish did they live in ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I have checked family search and the site for irish bmd forgot the name now, where you have to pay, they lived in Limerick city windmill st. well this is where Ellen and her sister were both born. They were R.C  ST Michaels. That was on my g grandmothers birth and marriage cert. Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch dont have many Irish parish records. I presume the other website you checked was RootsIreland ?

They have transcripts of marriages for St. Michael's Limerick City back to 1772. Maybe Charles and Lucy married, or even came from, somewhere else... are there any clues as to possible earlier locations for the family ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi no I have no other information , all I know is Charles was a river pilot, I believe he died in 1878. He was listed as deceased on ellen's marriage in 1891. I found a charles Hanrahan pilot death in 1878 in Limerick. He was 70, so i believe Lucy must have been alot younger than him! was it common for them not to marry? The witnesses listed on Ellen's marriage cert were Robert Petrie and Maggie Martin . Ellen had a sister who was bn 1867 and died of Scarlatina in 1871 parish district Limerick no 4. This is all I have to go on . Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
It might be worth considering Co. Clare also... it's very close to Limerick City on the other side of the river Shannon and that's where the McMahon surname is most common in Ireland. Unfortunately the county is not included in the RootsIreland website, but there are a few details available online - see the resources topic on the Clare board.

(marriages usually took place in the bride's parish)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much i'll give it a go  :)
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester