Author Topic: Pickover/Pickhover  (Read 1212 times)

Offline plrichard

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Pickover/Pickhover
« on: Sunday 20 June 04 02:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for my mothers family Pickover/Pickhover???  From what I have gathered her grandfather changed the spelling to include the "h" when he came to the U.S.  

Here is what I have thus far:

Ann Catherine June Pickhover b1936 Providence, RI USA d 1978 Pawtucket, RI USA (my mother)

John William Pickhover b.1901 ? d 1978 Pawtucket, RI USA - (John was married 4 times I believe.  His second marriage to my grandmother Ann Catherine McGinn b. 1914 Fall River, MA USA, d. 1936 Providence, RI USA -9 days after my mother was born.)

Ben Pickhover b. 1870 Nelson, England d. 1930 Pawtucket, RI USA (Ben married Sarah Dewhurst in 1889 in Lancashire, England {England and Wales, Civil Registration Index: 1837-1983 Volume 8e, page 327} - they had 4 children Sarah b. 1890 Nelson England d. 196? Pawtucket, RI USA, Lillian b. 1898 ?MA, USA, d. 1980 Providence, RI USA, Ben b. 1901 England d. 1986 Pinellas,FL, USA and John {listed above}

Benjamin Pickover b. 1844 Foulridge, England d. ?? Married Ellen Clarkson b. 1846 Landcliffe, England according to the 1881 Census they had 5 children Mary, Clarkson, Ben, Stephen and Robert.  All born in Nelson.

This is the only information I have been able to find so far.  Does anyone have links to any of these people?  Any suggestions where to look next?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Peter Richard

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Pickover/Pickhover
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 04 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

and Welcome to RootsChat.   :D

If you haven't already you need to get certificates for all the BMDs you have managed to pin down.  They will often give further clues.  If you do not have dates you need to find them,  FreeBMD is a good starting place if you have not already tried.

Then I would try to track those people you have identified through the other census information available.  Where you do not have access to it,  you could try placing a request in our Census and Resource Lookup Request Forum:
http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=48

When you have exhausted all these avenues there are others to explore,  but these are the first steps I would try.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.