Author Topic: 1850 street directory in Melbourne  (Read 16407 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 street directory in Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 September 11 06:07 BST (UK) »
So the Vic reference number to use seems to be given at reply #9 of the first thread on Merlin's list.  That ref number saves around $1 Au.

The information on Vic BDM's from the 1850's marriages (I am looking at one in my own tree at the moment) gives me the bride and groom's full names, their then current addresses, their places of birth, down to the villages in the UK, their parents full names, including the nee names, those parents occupations, places of birth,  the status of the bride and groom (mine were spinster and bachelor, so NO former name for the bride), the occupations of the bride and groom, their ages, and so much more, including the witnesses...

I don't consider that a rip off, sorry to disagree.

Adding,

I am not the only ...... member to search this Mary Ann McPike ...

I think the thread I am referring to was started in April 2006  :) perhaps by Gwenn02 .... :-X 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 September 11 06:13 BST (UK) »
Gwenn 02,

For an instant digital download of a Victorian Certificate $17.00 is good value compared to some States where you can't download, pay a lot more plus there is a delay.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 September 11 06:22 BST (UK) »
Once again lots of red warnings ;D  I like to put as much information on one post.

Firstly this is the link to purchase an image of a cert in Vic
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Details on Victorian certificates
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

I've had a look at another resource...and frustrating as the addresses and occupations of the two men are reversed....obviously a transcription error on the first resource.

Victorian Electoral Roll 1856

ATTENBOROUGH Robert  Cambridge Street, Collingwood  Labourer

ATTENBOROUGH Thomas  Smith Street, Collingwood  Solicitor

I can't find any other references for Thomas with occupation Solicitor, but he is mentioned in this family notice as living at Smith Street, Collingwood
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0f4y/

Also these index entries...

ATTENBOROUGH, Rt [?Robert]  
Born Nottingham  34 years  Status Married  Occupation Labourer  Arrived 1847  
Hospital record  25 Nov 1859
Place  Collingwood
Melbourne Hospital admissions & discharges register Feb 1857 - Jan 1860

ATTENBOROUGH Robert.
20 Dec 1859
Hospital record
Melbourne Hospital admissions & discharges register Feb 1857 - Jan 1860.
Comment - Made outpatient

and Robert of Collingwood with occupation blacksmith...

ATTENBOROUGH, Thomas George.
Baptism  21 Feb 1852
Place Collingwood, Victoria
Father  Robert,  Blacksmith
Mother Mayand some from 1855-1868.

So it perhaps it was either Robert or Thomas ATTENBOROUGH who lived at Collingwood :-\

Did your information come from Assisted Immigrant records?

Link to index only

http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=24

No to read all the posts ;D

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 September 11 06:42 BST (UK) »
Vic BDM records are usually full of information  ;D and images can be downloaded  immediately ;D for around $17 - $18 Au...

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

Cheers,  JM

Waoooo it's expensive $17  ... !!!!! especially for an old record ... what a rip off

And in New Zealand for a print out, not an image of the original register entry.

if the event took place from 1848 to 1874, or NZ$20.40

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 September 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
From a very quick google search

http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/info/fh/directories

At that link I read :

Victoria
Post Office Directories

The State Library of Queensland holds:

Official Post Office Directory for Victoria 1839 -1930 [microfiche] (MFCB 994.5025). The collective title for Post Office directories published by Sands and Kenny, Sands and MacDougall, Wise’s Directories and Bailliere’s Directories. Generally, these directories provided the names, residences and occupations of the inhabitants of the Colony inclusive of Melbourne and suburbs, arranged locally and alphabetically, with cross references. All are available under the title Official Post Office Directory on Open Access on microfiche.

Perhaps there's NZ libraries with copies of those holdings, or with their own copies of those or similar directories/almanacs etc. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 September 11 07:56 BST (UK) »

Did your information come from Assisted Immigrant records?

Link to index only

http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=24

Yes my info is comming from Assisted Migrant recors
GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 19 September 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
Vic BDM records are usually full of information  ;D and images can be downloaded  immediately ;D for around $17 - $18 Au...

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

Cheers,  JM

Waoooo it's expensive $17  ... !!!!! especially for an old record ... what a rip off

And in New Zealand for a print out, not an image of the original register entry.

if the event took place from 1848 to 1874, or NZ$20.40

Cando

I am moaning Maybe because I am to used to work on  scottish archives/genealogy were is a system of pay per view very well done and also other european archives were access to vital records are free ...
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
The info on the 1850's Vic BDM's is often as informative as on the Scottish for that era.

I realise the info on NZ m.c. for the 1850's is scant when compared with either the Scottish or the Vic ones.   

The reference no. for the Vic 1854 m.c. was given to your enquiry at Rootschat back in 2006. And on this current thread you have given the date of that marriage, so it seems someone may already have a copy of that m.c. and they may have already provided the date to you.   

I noticed on a goggle search for your Mary Ann that the indenture may have been for one month rather than for 90 days, http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.oceania.australia.vic.general/8080.1/mb.ashx.

Have you tried the digitised newspapers at Trove?  Very similar to the NZ papers past site, Trove is regularly updated, Australian government funded via the National Library of Australia. http://trove.nla.gov.au/

She arrived in January 1854 and married a certain Isaac Woodward (gold broker, according to family records and infos ....) 15 September 1854 ..

Yes you suggestion might be possible ... if Attenborough is a sollicitor he might have been acting on behalf of an Emigration Scheme.

I need to obtain her marriage certificate (to see if details in there) .. with Isaac Woodward. For info she didn't get married because pregnant of Isaac .. she only have a child from him in 1856

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
I often use NLA  .. and even correct the scan of the paper when possible.
However, I haven't find anything about her 1st husband Isaac Woodward ..(he died according to family history.. from a horse accident in Wakefield when she was pregnant and he was a gold broker ... ) .. I haven't find any tangible proof supporting this story...

What I was looking with my 1st question was more ... WHY she left the employment at Collingwood  and who was this Mr Attenborough 

Some Rootchaters in the thread open new horizons to me by suggesting that he might have been acting on behalf of an agent (if he was sollicitor) .. I haven't though before about this possibility ...
MACDONALD (INV/../..);