Author Topic: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.  (Read 24258 times)

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 November 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks it is interesting I was reviewing St John's, Newfoundland,

Another stray....

Nowell, Joseph buried 25. Mar. 1835, 43, A native of Brixham Devon

possibly b 24 Jul 1794, of Joseph Nowell​ & Mary, Brixham??

This lead me to look at a different Joseph Nowell Married 1759

http://noelhistory.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/st-john-s-bap-and-burials.xls

stumbled on this

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/law/lab4/labvol4_2031.html

I thought this Joseph might have fit with Oades as a father......bap 22 Nov 1734

My previous stray Nicholas Newell is in St John's in 1795 concurrent with these others

However, I do see an earlier Charles Nowles in a 1706 census of St John's but this name does not seem typical of the Brixham Nowells

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 17 November 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel, how fascinating!! 
I would like to know where the name Oades came from, as I believe his mother's maiden name was Horswell - it is SO unusual I think it could take you back a generation perhaps.

I have sent a message to Jigsawpuzzler and am holding my breath for her to step in as she is a direct descendant and knows much more than I do.

It may be that she can find a whole line of Charles, for while I don't have any on the tree I constructed, mine is limited by the specific Rowse interest.

Are you aware of naming patterns?  There was a tendency to name first son for paternal grandfather, second for father, (or maternal grandfather,) then third for maternal gf (or father). Likewise for girls, starting with maternal grandmother, and so on.

Eagerly watching this space........... :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel.
Very interested in your information about Newfoundland.
I knew the family went over there but I didn't realize they were there in the 17th century, quite impressive. Where did you find this info ?
I have Nicholas and John very near the top of the family tree, a little earlier than them there is a Thomasine who marries in 1615, but I can't place a Joseph other than Oades son and i had him as dying in Brixham in 1778, but as it is very hard to be sure which of the many people with the same names does the dying, this could well be wrong.
Who was Hannah his wife, was she from Brixham i wonder. What was the source for the Joseph who married in 1759?
One branch of the family a George Nowell was in New Brunswick in 1847-1850 with 3 children born there.
You ask if any Nowells remain. In the 19th century the family seemed to spread to Hull, Tenby and Ramsgate and even London- in the 1911 census there were Nowells from the family in each town. I don't think there are any left in Brixham, and it may be that my uncle who died last year in Hull was the last of the name and with a fishing background from there, not sure about Ramsgate or Tenby & London
Interested to hear about your sources and connection to the Nowells and thank you for the input

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 19 November 12 06:07 GMT (UK) »
In tracking my roots in Newfoundland for the name Noel it was necessary to consider all spellings, including Nowell. Their early presence makes them very interesting but there are few records. The survey of ships was 1678. Some notes where added by Thomas Cole a Newfoundland historian. Captain Noll as you see was involved in an interesting event which likely drew attention from historians. I think I had long overlooked the data because Trinity Bay is the home of a long-established family of Newells.

Bonavista, Newfoundland links:

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Articles/1678-shipsr-bon.shtml

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Articles/bonavista-1497-1700-bon.shtml

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Articles/fr_atk.shtml

http://noelhistory.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/perlican.pdf

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 19 November 12 06:30 GMT (UK) »
The above Bonavista records had me interested in this group from familysearch.com:

England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975         
father         
Philip Nowell      07 Jul 1633   Phillip Nowell
Philip Nowell      25 Jan 1631   John Nowell
Philip Nowell spouse: Mathew   26 Jan 1639   Elizabeth Nowell
Philip Nowell      07 Mar 1631   Nicholas Nowell

Philip Nowell      07 Aug 1676   Nicholaus Nowell

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 November 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Brixton

I saw 2 Josephs relatively close together on familysearch.com if they survived:

Joseph Nowell   22 Nov 1734   Oads Nowell,​ Susanna
Joseph Nowell   15 Oct 1740   Joseph Nowel,​ Elizabeth

It may be that this fellow who died was John and a lone wolf in Nfld.

St John's, Newfoundland

From Seary: Newfoundlnad Names:

John (or Joseph) Newell (or Nowell), from Brixham (Devon),
 of St. John's, deceased 1835, aged 38 (Times 25 Mar 1835, Star
 and Conception B.J. 15 Apr 1835)

Baptisms:
http://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/ParishRecords/stj_ang_cathedral_bap.shtml

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 November 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
ooops! Joseph 1740 did not survive but had brother Joseph 1744

Have a tree going back a bit here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SYDK-CBD

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Noel
Many thanks again, I have been puzzling over these Josephs. Could it have been Joseph b. 1734 son of Oades who was the wife of Hannah, do they marry in 1759   & father of the 3 children, then I have a Joseph b.1794 the son of Joseph & Mary, could he have been the John/Joseph who died 1835 aged 38?? If so I have 6 Josephs on my tree & 5 burial dates ie. one too many. Interesting how Joseph & Hannah's children start as Nowell but are Newell when they are buried. Are the Newfoundland Newells definitely the same family and do they then change to Noel? Any clue to what happened to Thomas born 1763?
I think John b. 1630 is my 8 x grandfather, his children are fairly well spaced so you could imagine a trans Atlantic voyage between each.
I have a John b.1659 and one b.1681 both have no English history so could be Captain John Noll,but it would be a long shot
Re the children of Philip I have his spouse as Martha and Nicholas's birth as 1630/31 ( change of calendar?) and Philip b.1676 as son of Philip b. 1633. Interested to hear of any more discoveries

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I will get a lookup if I can and determine if Joseph or John was recorded in the newspaper.
I chose Joseph as the name John does not appear in any other records. It will take about 2 weeks.

I, a Noel, have done a DNA test and was matched on 12 markers by a Newell so spelling is not consistent. Possible Nowell changed to Newell, much more common on the island. I will look.

This might be of interest:

http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/cns_decks/DA_Vol22_No02.pdf