Author Topic: Martha GOATER marriage  (Read 11971 times)

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha GOATER marriage
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 September 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, do we share the same ancestors? Martha's daughter Louisa was my grt grandmother.

I have a copy of Martha Baker nee Goater's 2nd marriage to Charles Massey in front of me. It names the father as Francis Goater and the mother as Sarah Higgins. Also on Martha Massey/Baker/Goater's death certificate which I have in front of me, her father's name is Francis Goater.

Lots of fun,

Marion

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 September 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion

I'm a bit confused as to why Martha's father is listed as Francis when all the other records seem to suggest he was Anthony?

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 September 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
It is confusing, I agree. Perhaps Martha had forgotten/not known her father's Christian name. He died before Martha came to NZ in 1859.

In my previous post, I was just letting Trish know what was on the certificates that I have.

Is your Henry Kingston Goater related to Martha?

Marion

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 September 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
Now I'm confused!

No I am not related but am from New Zealand ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 September 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
Trish in NZ,  Please explain what it is that is confusing you?

i.e. is it because you have a certificate with the name Anthony Goater on it, and I have a certificate with the name Francis Goater on it - as the father of Martha Goater?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 September 12 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi MJH,

No I have no Certs as I am not related to this Family.

I just had read some of it incorrectly and got confused between your and Marias posts.

Ok, a Daeth Cert may have the wrong Parents names on it as it depends how much correct info the informant on the Cert had.

Marriage Certs usually are more correct.

Unfortunately the 1st Marriage of Martha was before Civil Reg so it would have only Witnesses names.

As I can find no other Martha Goater with a Father Francis I presume either he was known as Francis within the Family or their has been a mistake onthe Cert in NZ.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 September 12 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Trish. By the time Martha Massey/Baker nee Goater died in 1886, the name of Sarah nee Higgins was not written on it. Memories fading, maybe.

I always ask for microphagic copies of the actual entry, so there is no typing error. The name Francis Goater is clearly written. We may never know why. I have been cautious about accepting that he is Anthony. However, now I have added the name Anthony Goater to a couple of online trees.

In old notes of mine, from the IGI - British Isles, I found a possible sister of 'Francis' Anthony Goater:

Martha Goater, female Christening 05 Feb 1771, Micheldever, Hampshire, England.

Marion

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Maria, I hope you enjoy new discoveries in genealogy, now that the Cricket has finished.

Important to me; Regarding your Sept 19th post, Martha Goater born 1814. Did your source actually show the names of the parents. [You have stated their names as Anthony Goater and Sarah nee Higgins.]

Alternatively, would you kindly list for me the documents you have, or have seen, which show Anthony and Sarah as the parents for Martha Goater?

Thank you,
Marion

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion

the website www.freereg.org.uk has a baptismal record for Martha Goater baptised 13/02/1814 parents Anthony & Sarah, father's occupation labourer.

The Somerset OPC site - wsom-opc.org.uk/index.php?id=19  - has the marriage record of Anthony Goater & Sarah Higgins at St Peter's Englishcombe 07/05/1810.

best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL