Author Topic: COMPLETED - Marriage:- John Nicholson/Ann Smith 1846/7 Whitehaven district  (Read 3708 times)

Offline joancrellen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Marriage:- John Nicholson/Ann Smith 1846/7 Whitehaven district
« on: Monday 19 September 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

This is a long shot as I don't know precisely where they were married.   They lived in Egremont so possibly married there.  GRO gives 1847 (1) Whitehaven but they could have married late 1846. 

I need some of the details re. bachelor/widower, spinster/widow, ages and fathers' names.  Any or all of these would help but mainly trying to establish whether or not either has been married previously.

If anyone has access to any parish records who might come across this marriage, I would be extremely grateful for the info. 

Cheers,           Joan

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage:- John Nicholson/Ann Smith 1846/7 Whitehaven district
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
   They lived in Egremont so possibly married there.  GRO gives 1847 (1) Whitehaven but they could have married late 1846. 

If it is in the GRO index for quarter 1 of 1847, then that is when it would have taken place!
It is not like a birth or death, when the registration happens a few days or even weeks after the event.

If you purchase the mariage cert (can be ordered online from www.gro.gov.uk) you will get the details of marital status and fathers.
UNless you are very lucky and someone is prepared to look through Parish Registers for you
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Which John & Ann Nicholson are you researching as there are 2 living in Egremont - one born 1808 and the other 1810

The 1808 John was born Whitehaven and Ann was b Workington 1814

The 1810 John was born Egremont as was Ann (1811)

Both had children born before 1847 and both couples appear on the 1841 census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline joancrellen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

I'm looking for the ones born Egremont.  I have a 'hunch' that the Ann with John on the '41C is not the same Ann as on the '51 C.  That is the reason I need to establish whether widower and/or widow at marriage in 1846/7.  They may, in fact, not be my people at all. 

The '51 C has a Sarah, aged 6, but there isn't a GRO record for a Sarah Nicholson born 1844.  There is one for a Sarah Smith. 

It's really because I am following the Ann aged 3 on the '51 and need to get the correct mother.

Cheers,         Joan

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Your best move then would be to get her birth cert.

That would give you her mums maiden name, and then you would know if the Nicholson/Smith marriage was relevant or not.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline joancrellen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz,

I realise that is the obvious option but I'm trying to avoid buying certificates if I can get the info. by some other means.  I may have to resort to that in the end though. 

I know there are some brilliant people out there who can sometimes work miracles for people's requests so thought it was worth a try.

Joan

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Indeed there are. But in this case I dont know how you will be sure of following the correct line without knowing teh maiden name of Ann's mother.

She is with parents John and Ann in 1851. But there is another John/Ann Nicolson couple in the very same town, and probably many more in the wider registration area (the marriage of John Nicholson to Ann Smith could well not be either of the couples).  Even if the John N/AnnSmith shows it is a second marriage, how does that prove that it is the marriage of your little Ann's parents?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline joancrellen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
Liz,

It doesn't, but if the marriage is possibly theirs, it could explain the Sarah Nicholson/Smith aged 6 on the '51 C.  At least that way I might be able to eliminate the first Ann.

Sarah's mother might not have been married previously but if she was then I have to find her maiden name.  That's genealogy for you.  One step at a time.

Joan

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
The John who m. MAR 1847 was a cousin of mine. He married Isabella Walker at St. Bees, March 6th. These Nicholsons did have connections with Egremont.

Stephen