Author Topic: St George Pill Parish records - ANSTICE  (Read 6477 times)

Offline janetd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St George Pill Parish records - ANSTICE
« on: Friday 06 May 05 17:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with info on George W Anstice, b. Pill 1827.  He married Lewis/Louisa nee? and their first son Thomas George was born in Pill 1857/8.  By the time of the birth of Charles W in 1860/1 they had moved to Newport Mon.  Information is from Newport census returns. A later son was my greatx2 grandfather. Thanks. Janet D.

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Re: St George Pill Parish records Anstice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Sorry I have to ask - is there a chance that these events took place in Pillgwenlly, Newport (known locally as Pill)?

One of my ancestors in Weston-super-Mare gave his place of birth in all the censuses as Pill.  Sometimes it said Bristol sometimes Somerset.  Eventually he was tracked down as being born in Pillgwenlly!  If you are sure it is the Somerset Pill then this site might help:

http://www.mary.mason.btinternet.co.uk/page4.html

There are some transcribed records for Pill, Somerset (St Georges).  They only start about 1860 when I think the church was first built.  Before then I think what became the parish of Pill was part of Easton in Gordano.

Hope this is of some help.  ;)

Debbie

Offline janetd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Like Wm. Anstice dockmaster, my family originated in Pill Somerset and moved to Newport where they lived for a time in Mountjoy St. Pill Newport.  One of them was born in Newport in 1860's but appears on the baptisms record on the site you suggested.  I tried that some time ago but the years I need are not online.  I have not yet established a connection with Wm. Anstice but feel sure there must be one because a lot of the Christian names seem to appear in both families.  Thanks for the advice. Janet

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet
Just came across your request, Only this week my father asked me if i could find some information on his mothers side of the family her maiden name was Anstice, her father was Thomas George Anstice, I have found his grave stone, and it reads as DOD as Jan. 2nd 1941 aged 86 of mill parade which is in the pill area of newport, his wife was Sarah Ann who died April 15th 1918 aged 55, I have not had time to do any more at present, but if you think this might be the right family, let me know and I will keep you updated
regards
rgee
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
Anstice, Bristol& Monmouthshire
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline janetd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St George Pill Parish records - ANSTICE
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 August 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message. Yes this is the same family. I am descended from Thomas George's brother Wm., who is my great grandfather.  I have been working on the Anstice family on and off for a few years but have been limited to online resources because, although I originate from Newport I am no longer living locally. If you would like to contact me on 

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email adresses and other personal information. Thank You.

I can give you details back to c1800.

Offline xqp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:34 BST (UK) »

Offline xqp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:48 BST (UK) »
[...] Thomas George Anstice, I have found his grave stone, and it reads as DOD as Jan. 2nd 1941 aged 86 of mill parade which is in the pill area of newport. [...]

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but would you know of any connection to Rose Lilian Anstice, (1907-1989)?

My stepfather, Ivor, was born in 1926 and his birth certificate says his mother, Rose, was a domestic servant in Cardiff.

Ivor married in 1954 and his marriage certificate says he was living at 4 Mill Parade, Newport.

As far as I can tell Ivor's father died in 1943 so he might well have been living with his mother.

Martin

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have Rose Lilian fathers name?

I do have a Lilian in the tree but her DoB is 1885 and her fathers name was Thomas George Anstice, and he did live in Mill parade untill at least 1922

Regarde
rgee (ray)
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
Anstice, Bristol& Monmouthshire
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline xqp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 10 23:58 BST (UK) »
I do have names, supported by and taken from the following certificates, which arrived today. 

An 1899 marriage certificate for a Charles Emile Derraven (age 28, seaman) and a Margaret Jane Lugton (age 25).
Charles's father, also Charles Emile Derraven (decd), a ship's carpenter.
Margaret's father, William Lugton, also a ship's carpenter.

A  1928 marriage certificate for a Charles Emile Derraven, (age 49, ship's boatswain) and Rose Lilian Anstice (age 21).
Charles's father, also Charles Emile Derraven (decd), an architect.
Rose Lilian's father was Charles Valentine Anstice, a boiler maker.

A 1943 death certificate for a Charles Derraven, age 72, boatswain (retd) M.S. of 4 Mill Parade, Newport.
The informant was R. L. Derraven, widow of the deceased, at the same address.

Since the Anstices were known to be river pilots and so on, I suppose it's reasonable to assume that they could have some contact with a bosun's family.

I do have some tree info for the Anstices (not sure I'm allowed to say where?) and from that I think Charles Valentine Anstice was Charles Valentine Griffin Anstice, (1868-1932) son of Charles Anstice (c1835-1915) and Sarah Ann Griffin. I have some census entries for them.

I don't have a Lilian, daughter of Thomas George Anstice yet, but the address suggests more than mere coincidence.

Does this tie with your information?

Regards,
Martin