Author Topic: Hewitt/Ryan/Gleeson from Clonlara  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Bissonn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hewitt/Ryan/Gleeson from Clonlara
« on: Tuesday 20 September 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about the Patrick Hewitt/Anna Ryan family from Clonlara.  I understand that my great-great-great grandfather Patrick Hewitt died sometime prior to 1845 by drowning in the River Shannon.  He & his wife had 9 children:  Barney, James, John, Martin, Patrick, & Mary, Ellen, Margaret Bridget, and Anna.

I believe the oldest child was born abt. 1816, with the youngest born about 1835.  Sometime after Patrick died I believe all the children immigrated to Canada and then eventually to the U.S.---Wisconsin mainly.  I know Bridget (Margaret Bridget) was married in Ireland to Cornelius Gleeson & their oldest son Patrick was born there abt. 1840.  The 2nd son Cornelius, Jr. was born in Canada in 1844, so apparently they immigrated between 1840 & 1844.

Patrick & Anna Ryan Hewitt's daughter Anna Hewitt was my great-great grandmother and she married Patrick Gleeson, who I believe was Cornelius's brother.  I believe that they also married there in Clonlara, prior to immigration.

Would anyone have any information about these families, or is there somewhere on-line I could go to look up any church records for the Catholic churches in Clonlara?

Anne McCarthy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hewitt/Ryan/Gleeson from Clonlara
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
Could the location be the town Cloonlara / Clonlara?
It's a town located in the south east of Co. Clare and not far from the Shannon and Co. Limerick and in the Civil parish of Kiltenanlea.

Assuming your ancestors were RC, then the parish is Doonass and Truagh. I dont see any mention of Cloonlara/Clonlara, or Doonass and Truagh in the Clare Resources topic, but records for the parish are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilm Pos. 2476. Baptism and marriage records for this parish go back to 1851.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Bissonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Shane,
Thank you for the reply.  I had guessed that the parish was Kiltenanlea, but if the records don't start until 1851 that is too late...  I believe all my Hewitt's & Gleeson's were gone before then.  I was hoping that someone from the area might recognize the Hewitt or Ryan name, & possibly have some family info.  I will keep looking!!

Thanks,
Anne

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

When Griffiths Valuation was taken in Clare (around 1855), it lists:-

James Hewit, Dromintobin South,  Kiltenanlea, Clare
Patrick Hewit, Clooncarhy, Kiltenanlea, Clare

Cheers

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again

www.clarelibrary.ie also shows the Title Applotment Book Index and a number of Hewitt (various spellings) and Gleesons are listed around Clonlara:-

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/tithe_applot/kiltenanlea_tab.htm

I have a couple of other books on the area and will see if there is any mention of the Hewitt family.

Cheers

Offline Bissonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much...any info is more than I have.  Being in Texas, I have no idea where to look.  I have searched on Ancestry.com, but I haven't had any luck on the searches for Irish records, or immigration....do you happen to know if there would even be any records--since Ireland was part of the British Empire, I was wondering if it would even be considered immigration since they all settled in Canada at first.  I have found most of the records when they came to the U.S. from Canada, but nothing from Ireland to Canada.

A distant relative that has been in contact with me (also lives in the U.S.) has told me about Patrick Hewitt drowning in the Shannon River.  I believe he said that he worked on Lord Massey's estate.

Anne