Author Topic: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff  (Read 9715 times)

Offline PriceNash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 August 23 09:14 BST (UK) »
I believe Walter Joss 1780-1862 married Elizabeth Barron 1774 - Married 1 Jan 1803 Gamrie, Banffshire. Had Walter Barron Joass 1806.

Jean Barron 1778 - married James Joass 1777

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 August 23 16:32 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Walter Joass (1780-1862) and his second wife Ann McKay (1784-1854). Walter's parents are Alexander Joass and Helen Ross. I have my DNA done and would be interested in comparing...

There are several Alexander Joass's in Banffshire at the time making it difficult to discern which one is the correct one who fathered Walter. The Alexander Joass that I am related to was a farmer at Burnside of Cullen (not a longtime teacher like the other Alexander Joass).

I have my dna on ancestry ... can we conmpare?

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline PCRW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 06:59 BST (UK) »
I can add to the Joass story at Bloodymire. I am related to an Alexander Craig approx 1706 (may be the witness to the Joass births??, and Katherine Joass b approx 1722.  I have no further details about this couple except Alexander Craig headstone reads "sometime farmer in Bloodymie", (Gamrie Banff).

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 August 23 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Nice to meet you.

The name Alexander Craig of Bloodymire comes up several times in birth records of Joass family of Burnside.  Also an Alexander Joass from Bloodymire is a witness to the birth of Alexander Joass 1756 (schoolmaster of Boyndie). There is Alexander Joass the father , Alexander the son and then Alexander from Bloodymire. Maybe there is a connection between the Bloodymire Alexander and Katherine Joass? I'd be interested in any clues about Bloodymire Alexander Joass.

I see that Alexander Craig has a brother James and he also shows up as a witness to Joass births.
Also I see that Alexander Craig had sons: Alexander 1745 , John 1748 , Walter 1750 (interesting) , James 1753 and William 1756.

Attached: 1777 birth of James Joass -son of Alexander -farmer of Burnside and Helen Ross

Interestingly , above the birth of James is an Irvine one and the witness is Alexander Joass from Bauds. There are several in the area at the time for sure.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline DouglasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 August 23 07:00 BST (UK) »
There are 3 families within close proximity over the same times which I am sure are linked,but have yet to find link. A search through KS records would be my next step.

Bloodymires:
     John Joass m Isobel Riddoch, children
 Ann 1766,
Alexander 1771,
James,
!sobel 1775,
William 1777,
Walter1780.

Bauds.
      Alexander Joass m Anne Lumsden, Children.
Katherine 1776
Ann 1778
Alexander 1780
Alexander 1781
Mary 1782
Bathia 1785
Helen 1788
James1792
Catherine 1797 ?

AND Burnside;
     Alexander Joass m Beatrice Addison
Possibly the natural son to George Joass and Margaret Preist bp 7.10.1681
  George and brother William the sons of James Jon

Anyone who can aid the untangling?

Offline PCRW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 August 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan of Kalso, I did not know about Alexander Craig’s brother James. I will investigate. Katherine Joass is a mystery as I have not found her death yet. She may be a sister to Alexander Joass of Bloodymyre.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 25 August 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Douglas

Not much to add but I did get the Katherine Joass birth doc and it says that Alexander Joass of Bauds was a farmer. It says this Katherine Joass died in 1791 so cannot be same Katherine that PCRW mentions above marrying Alexander Craig.

Offline Cindy K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 September 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across a marriage for Alex Joass b1740 D 1814 and Ann Lumsden B 1744 D 1812 and buried in Alvah. Currently researching with 2 dna matches and have struggled to find a marriage, first child Katherine was baptised 1776.

Cindy

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 September 23 23:18 BST (UK) »
Their wedding doc seems to be missing... but it does say wife on the baptism docs and on the grave it says 'Ann Lumsden his spouse'.

This stone is ereceted by Alexander Joass farmer in Bauds, in memory of John Lumsden, sometime farmer in Carling Craig, who departed this life, February 20th 1780, aged 66. Also his spouse, died March 20 1801, aged 79. Alexander Joss, farmer in Bauds 32 years, died July 20th 1811, aged 72. Ann Lumsden his spouse, died February 8th 1812 aged 68, and their son, James Joss, merchant, Boyndlie ... [last part not legible]

Alexander Joass of Bauds is likely this entry on SP:

JOASS ALEXANDER
WM. JOASS/
M
21/04/1735
10 / 64
Alvah

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817add7e93790ec8befd923/alexander-joass-baptism-banffshire-alvah-1735-04-21?locale=en

William Joass of Funkiestoun is likely brother of Alexander Joass (also sometimes of Funkiestoun) who had the son Walter in 1728. This Alexander of Alvah is likely the father of Alexander of Burnside 1722-1802. That would mean his wife was Beatrice Addison (according to the Joass family grave in King Edward).

Alexander 1735 Bauds and Alexander 1722 Burnside are cousins I believe.

Here is a list of kids by Alexander Joass of Alvah (Funkiestoun , Stonyhill , Brydach):
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817add5e93790ec8befd552/john-joass-baptism-banffshire-alvah-1724-03-04?locale=en
Missing from the list is Alexander 1722 who's baptism record is not findable. He could have been born anywhere from 1722-1735...

If the above is true then John Joass of Alvah born 4 Mar 1724 at Stonyhill is the same John Joass of Bloodymire that married Isobel Riddoch. I am DNA related to both Alexander of Burnside and John of Bloodymire...because they are brothers.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817add5e93790ec8befd552/john-joass-baptism-banffshire-alvah-1724-03-04?locale=en