Author Topic: Birth Certificate Shock  (Read 16115 times)

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate Shock
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 06 October 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
My surname is spelt different to my Fathers on my birth certificate, he's always spelt it wrong. Also he managed to spell both my brothers and my first names different to the way my mother wanted them spelt when he registered us.

I'll say it again, don't send a drunk irishman to register your kids ;D
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 October 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
My Aunt needed court permission to marry before my Uncle went off to war. Grandma sent away for the birth cert, Auntie wasn't just one year under age she was actually two years under age!! The magistrate didn't want to give his permission but luckily compassion ruled the day and they were happily married two weeks before Uncle went overseas.  :D
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Tariana

• RootsChat Extra
  • My namesake, Miss Abbie Baity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 January 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
My family had to send out for my birth certificate (born in another state) back in the late 90s when it was time to get my driver's permit.
I was a bit baffled as to why, when I had been known as A.M. surname all my life my birth certificate had M.A. surname.
So, for example instead of Anna Mary, it had Mary Anna.
In any case I got my permit (and now license) with the A.M. name. Apparently the DMV either didn't give a rip which version was on the birth certificate, or went by my social security card.

I found out later that I have a corrected certificate, but it has my mom's age on it wrong.

Ah well, can't win 'em all.

-------

btw for those interested, apparently there's a short traditions of first born girls being named after their fathers, so that's where my M name comes from. The middle name is after an ancestor that had passed some time before I was born and sentimental older relatives started calling me by my A name and it's stuck ever since.

Offline Kathcan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 January 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother ,born in Ontario Canada  in 1878, went by the name Emma Jane all her life.  After her husband died she needed her birth  certificate.  When it came back it said her name was Francis Howell.  Grandma and the rest of the family just assumed that her father had registered her in the name he wanted and then kept quiet about it.  A few years ago I found her certificate on the internet.  She at been registered by her grand father ,not her dad, by the name Emily Jane.  In 1909 or 29 someone else  from another province with her family surname sent in a name change to Francis Howell.  I don't know who did it or were the other name came from as there  is no Frances in the family.  The Howell maybe the maiden name of her fathers mother.
Tite Allison Batley

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Not quite a Birth Cert Shock but I think this is worth relating.

I remember a few years back I was working in the States when I came across the tale of a baby born to a, let's say, not so sophisticated couple. The proud father took a look at the wrist band and declared that he was happy with the name the hospital had chosen for the little girl. Pronouncing it Feemawlya he didn't get it that all the girls had Female Surname on the bands.
I often wonder if the child was actually registered by that name.

Gerry   ;D
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 January 12 23:02 GMT (UK) »
My mum was born a year into ww2
nana had been evacuated to a hotel converted to a maternity home for the war years, and she was alone with no family around her.
After mum was born the registrar came to register births at the home. When the certificate arrived she wasnt impressed that he wiped out generations of family tradition n re namedmum from Mary Irene to Irene may.
mum on the other hand when she realized what her name SHOULD have been was very happy as she didn't like her real name!
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline dalkey mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 February 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
My husband thought his birthday was 23 Feb 1935 until he had to get a copy of his birth certificate in 1969,it came back as 3rd Feb,10 years ago we had to get a full copy of his birth cert for a passport,it came back as 23 Feb,so now he 2 certs & 2 birthdays!!
His mother was Frances after she died we found her name was Sarah & her death was registered as Frances.

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 February 12 15:51 GMT (UK) »
My 1st cousin 1x removed  was born in May 1922 but his birth wasn't registered until August as the son of Webster surname and Elizabeth surname nee surname

I found a transcript of his baptism on the internet which took place in July, between his birth and its registration...I got a shock when I found he was listed as the son of Webster surname and Ada surname.....Ada was Elizabeth's married sister!

Now I don't know if it was just a mistake by the minister or whether I have exposed a long hidden family secret as Webster and Elizabeth's marriage ended very quickly afterwards. :o
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 February 12 18:31 GMT (UK) »
my maternal grandmother was one for "stretching" the truth as i was to find out when i started my tree.
we were always led to believe she was born on the 24th december it turned out to be the 22nd but it made her more interesting to be born on christmas eve. she also said she was the oldest of 3. she in fact was the middle child, her first and second names changed places on a regular basis, and so the list goes on but, she was still our lovely nan :-)