Author Topic: What did Harry do in WW1?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did Harry do in WW1?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks again for your information - I will try and post the back of the postcard.  I'm afraid I never have much luck trying to post images (so fingers crossed).  I would rather not post the front.  It is just a photo of my grandfather (also a Harry Brown) in his naval uniform.  This image, as I said, he is sending to his father Harry Brown who is in the Motor Section of the ASC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 September 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Me again, Just found the image on Ancestry - so I guess my grandfather transposed the numbers in Harry's service number? That's the only thing I can think of. 

So would Harry have served in France?  Where can I find information about the 7th Batt  RGA Third Army? Also,  can anyone enlighten me also what does RGA stand for?  Sorry  :-[

And finally, the medals mentioned were these all the standard ones that he received? 

Thanks again.
Edit:  Have just been doing some googling and found a great website which has explained to me the ASC http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm
Is RGA= Royal Garrison Artillery?

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
Harry is amonst the first to France, hence he was awarded the 1914 (Mons)  Star. The Clasp and Roses signifies that he was also in an active theatre. Also note that he was shipped out within a matter of weeks, so little attention paid to training him for military life.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

His date of entry is possibly about a week before 7th SB, but don't forget that he was in the Army Service Corps, not the Royal Garrison Artillery.

The problem comes with trying to trace which ASC Company he was with. There were hundreds and in September 1914, numerous new MT (Mechanical Transport) Companies were formed.

The prefix to HHarry's service number, MS, denotes Mechanical Specials. ie special enlistments. Was he a mechanic, or similar, prior to enlistment? One way of tracking down his Company would be by seeing if there is a mention of it in the war diary for 7th SB. This is only available at Kew and is in WO 95/304.

Phil

Edit: Do you have any idea of the date of the postcard? I have been assuming that the link to 7th SB is from day one.
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks once again for all  the helpful information.  Sorry I don't have the date of the postcard. 

Yes, I do realise he was with the ASC and not the RGA.  Someone mentioned these initials in a previous post and I just wondered what they stood for.  My great-grandfather had no special mechanical skill that I know of - before the war he was a Drayman for a brewery.   But he was a physically large man, and used to hauling and lugging large barrels about so I suspect he was ideally suited for the ASC.  The website I mentioned has a huge long list of the ASC units and where they were and what they did, but I guess I need to know a bit more before I can figure out which one he was in.

Yes, a look in the war diary would be v interesting.  I suppose that will be one for my to-do list when I get a chance to go to Kew.

Thanks again