Author Topic: Accidental drowning at Padworth  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Accidental drowning at Padworth
« on: Thursday 22 September 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
 I've just received the death certificate of my gggg grandfather, JOHN MONGER. It transpires that he accidentally drowned at Padworth at the age of 76 on 10 Dec 1842. I suppose that it is likely that this was in the Kennet & Avon canal. In 1841 he was living just up the road in Beenham, with his daughter's family (Cheesemans). Has anyone access to local newspapers for 1842/3? I suppose it is possible that this incident received a mention and I would love to know more.
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental drowning at Padworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello
The Berkshire Burial Index for Beenham has that he was " drowned in the canal opposite Towney on 9th Dec" Buried 15th Dec.
His wife, Sarah, buried 25 Jan 1837 age 76
I have a very distant link via the Cheesemans, back thru the Millsons of Bucklebury to my Sellwoods.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this very useful additional information. I notice there's a Towney lock, as well as a Padworth one. I think I'm going to have to find a time to go to Berkshire to look at the canal myself!

Ah yes, I have a George Millson in my tree - the husband of Christiana Cheeseman (1869), d of Charles Cheeseman (1829-1915) and granddaughter of Richard Cheeseman (1791). Christiana's great-grandfather, Richard Cheeseman (1751-1824) is my ancestor - father-in-law of Elizabeth Monger, the daughter of the John Monger who drowned in the canal opposite Towney.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
That is exactly what I have, so it is good to confirm my research. I have 9 children for Charles Cheeseman and Elizabeth Monger. Do you know who Elizabth's mother was. I just have her as Sarah.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
Sarah Bedford, daughter of George & Mary Bedford. IGI states that she married John Mongar in 1768, whereas according to the transcriptions in the Berkshire County Record Office, she married him in 1788, which makes sense because the first child is born that year. NBI has her burial in Jan 1837 aged 76, which would give her a date of birth around 1761.

I have only 8 children (Thomas, Joel, John (Jesse), William, Jonathan, Jonathan, Stephen Jonas and Lot) for Charles Cheeseman and Elizabeth Monger. The family story is that they had 7 sons, and that my ancestor was the youngest, and Elizabeth said when he was born 'that's the lot' - which is why he was called Lot!

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Dizzy,
I had John and Jesse as two separate children as although I had a baptism for John, I did not have anything for Jesse.  Jesse, however, I could find on censuses from 1841-1881.
This is what I have and I would be happy for you to correct it.
1827 Apr. 29 Eliza d/o Richard & Hannah Cheeseman   lab   b. Jan. 1
1827 Apr. 29 John s/o  Charles & Elizabeth Cheeseman  lab   b. Nov. 22

Stephen Jonas seems to have preferred to be called Jonas. Charles Lot seems to have used both names. I have him married to 1. Emma Hamlyn with 2 children 2. Clara Verrall with 4 children.
Yours
Vicwinann

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello. I've gone back to my notes and this was my reasoning at the time:

I looked up the Beenham registers at the archives in Reading and found the following:

John   s/o  Charles & Elizabeth Cheeseman  lab   b. Nov. 22

Unlike all the other christenings, there was no date given for this having happened. So I wondered whether the vicar was simply recording this birth on hearsay and had got the name wrong, because the census returns record a Jesse who was born in 1827, but not a John.

There are two Jonathans, of course. The first died a year or so before the second was born.

Lot was christened Lot and is Lot in the earliest censuses he features in. I reckon he styled himself 'Charles' after his marriage and he is C.L thereafter. After all, it would be a cruel lot for his wife - to be known as Lot's wife - with all the inevitable jokes about pillars of salt!

I am descended from his first marriage - to Emma Hamlyn. I've just received Lot's death certificate, by the way, and can send you a scan of it if you like. Emma Hamlyn's a bit of mystery. She is the daughter of William Hamlyn, butcher. I've found her christening, I think - 8 Feb 1835 at St Botolph Bishopsgate, and she is in the Shoreditch Nursery for Poor Children in 1841. At any rate, this child's father is a butcher at Seven Dials (featured in Charles Dickens, Sketches by Boz). The father, William Hamlyn is listed as a butcher at that address in Pigot's Directory of 1839. He then turns up in 1841 in the St Giles' Workhouse, where he died in 1843. He is not born in the county, and I've found it impossible to trace where he came from originally. I'd love to know - it remains one of my biggest blocks!

Best wishes,
Dizzy

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
PS - have you made any progress heading back in time beyond Daniel Cheeseman, c. 1710, who died in West Ilsley in January 1779? I've been wondering whether he is the Daniel Cheesmund who was christened in Ramsbury, Wiltshire in 1710, the son of Stephen Cheesmund and Frances Phillups. The dates match and this Daniel's siblings include a Stephen, a William, a Martha and a Jonathan, names which recur in the next few generations of the Cheeseman line in West Ilsley / Beenham. The Daniel Cheesmund of Ramsbury disappears without trace in that county. It is only 17 miles from West Ilsley. And there's another tantalising link between the Ramsbury Cheesemans and our lot: one of Daniel Cheesmund's brothers was a Joseph Cheeseman was born in Ramsbury in 1703 and dies in Beedon, Berks in 1780.  Unlike Joseph, his father and siblings all seem to be recorded as Cheesemunds.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I will send you a PM. I have a very strong suspicion that we have been in touch before, way back in 2006, before my old computer went up the Swanee.
Yours
Vicwinann