Author Topic: Bedford & County Girls Home, Hill Rise, Bedford  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Almeria54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bedford & County Girls Home, Hill Rise, Bedford
« on: Thursday 22 September 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the birth of my half brother born at the home between 1946 and 1953.  My mum was unmarried and not with the father and the baby was subsequently given up for adoption or fostering, my aunt can't remember which.   Are there any records of births at the home, I have been assigned a lady from the Archives dept in Cauldwell Street, Bedford from next week but found this site by accident and wondered if there was anybody out there who had any more info.  The surname was Cox.  Thanks 

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford & County Girls Home, Hill Rise, Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Almeria54,
The archives dept in Cauldwell Street Bedford is probably where you will find any details of the home but as you will be dealing with someone who is probably still alive not sure how much information will be available to you.

However I've had a quick look on www.freebmd.org.uk and found the following birth record

(*)Cox Mother Cox registered Jun-Sep 1948 District Bedford Volume 4a Page 64

which seems to fit your details.  You will need the District/Volume/page number if you wanted to apply for the birth certificate which would give you more details.  It was the only male cox with mother cox listed between the years you mentioned (there were a few females listed)

Good Luck with your search!
Marian

Moderator comment: edited for content. Name of a possibly living person removed in accordance with Rootschat policies

Offline Almeria54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Marion,

I appreciate that he may still be alive and if I get no further then ok, but as we are all very curious, I thought I would give it a try.

The name is very 'spooky' as my younger brother is called David! Is it easier and cheaper to get the birth cert from Bedford or do I have to go to GRO?

Thanks again

Sue

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Personally I would go direct to the GRO as you can order online, I think it is about £9.50, I have never ordered a UK certificate myself as my family research in based elsewhere.  Do beware of the numerous certificate services which seem to have sprung up on the internet charging in excess of £25!
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates.  Possibly you could get one issued on the day at Bedford?  Perhaps someone else on Rootschat might know the answer and will let us know.

Regards
Marian

Offline Chris_Beds

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
I had to go to get a duplicate for my son in order for him to marry  three years ago and it took 4 days at the office.  Also they asked me my relationship - I do think that in your case they might query it - delicate situation.  I'm afraid I can't remember how much I paid - not much though.
Brown - St. Erme and Grampound (Cornwall), East London, Plumstead Kent
Henwood - Devon/Cornwall, Woolwich Kent
Tilliduff/Tullideph - Aberdeenshire, East London, Plumstead Kent
Bancroft - Castle Donington Leics, Derby, Erith Kent
Reed - Greenhithe, Erith Kent

Offline Almeria54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies, will send for the birth cert and see if its the guy I am looking for.

Sue

Offline wigtown 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mazboks,i am also looking for a sister i have never met but was adopted from this home.I went onto the site you suggested but could'nt really understand it.Her name was * and born * 1942 and baptised on * 1943,i know her adopted name could you do some digging for me on this.Thank you

* details of person removed

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Her birth was registered in the Dec quarter 1942 in Bedford registration district, vol 3b page 517, mother's maiden name Howes. You can order her birth certificate, cost £9-25, at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/, but it probably won't tell you much that you don't already know.

As she may still be living that's probably the extent of the information that we'll be able to give.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Almeria54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 October 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody, Thanks for all your replies.  I have found info about David, obtained a birth cert which doesnt give me any more info than the Archives in Cauldwell Street have given me, but it is quite encouraging.  I have emailed the Diocese to see if they can help me make any contact as they were in charge of the home and I think would have had a hand in arranging the adoption, but no reply which doesnt really surprise me.  I have thought about putting an advert in the Beds Times to see if there is any response if not, then I will just have to leave it there.   Regards Sue