Author Topic: Audley Emigrated 1890 from Liverpool to Montreal  (Read 21225 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Audley Emigrated 1890 from Liverpool to Montreal
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
Esockville(?) County of Leeds Ontario

That actually says Brockville.

I've found Robert on the 1891 census with the Hughes family in Elmsley South in Leeds and Grenville North although his surname is spelled Odley. Here's a link to the image (line 8 of top page):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0f7p/
This census entry would give further weight to the death crisane found.

James is in Kingston on the 1891 census (as Audly) (line 13 of top page):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0f7q/

The death of Robert Audley on 29 May 1900, is probably not the Robert Audley I am after as it has been sugested that Robert Audley married a Hattie F Willey. and they had a child in 1901. I suspect Roberts surname changed from Audley to Audlee.

I saw that information posted in a family tree at Ancestry and, I don't mean any offence, I think it's wrong given the census information available. There is a Robert with the surname listed as Ardley in Northbridge, MA on the 1900 US census with a wife named Florence and a daughter Beatrice. He indicates he was a painter and born in New York in Jul 1867. He also indicates he and Florence were married in 1892.

On the 1910 census he and Hattie F are in Veazie, Maine with children F. Beatrice and Gerald (both born MA). He is still listed as a painter but gives a birth year of 1873 in England but an immigration of 1865! Hattie says it's her second marriage but Robert his first although I think that's wrong and Florence and Hattie were his first and second wives respectively. The birth record for Gerald at the LDS site would seem to confirm this as well as his mother is listed as Florence Pierce:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11627-175197-38?cc=1536925
however Florence's birth (as Florine) indicates her mother's name was Florence Kingsley:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12894-113769-20?cc=1536925
The information listed for Florence on both births would seem to indicate they are the same person. Perhaps she was married more than once or Kingsley or Pierce was her middle name and not her maiden surname.

On the 1920 census the four are in Stoughton, MA but this time Robert says he was born in England in 1869, immigrated in 1870 and became a naturalized citizen in 1891.

Although the census information is inconsistent regarding age and birth place, one thing that is consistent is this Robert is between 5-10 years older than the Robert who was a home child.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Oops. Duplicate information.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Thanks for all your additional information I have been looking at it for a couple of hours.
Can I ask for confirmation of a few facts:

Chrisane in her second post makes reference to the 1901 census of Canada does she really mean the 1901 census or does she mean the 1891 census of Canada?

Jacquie
So what you are saying is that the Robert Audley who arrived in Canada in 1890 aged 11 died in Brockville aged 22. So this means that there is no connection between him and the Robert Audley/Audlee a Painter of Massachusettes.

Is there any information available as to who adopted British Home Children in Canada

Can you give me a link to the Death record of Robert Audley in Brockville;

Thanks once again for all your help

Regards

Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 September 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Regarding Crisane's reference to James on the census, I believe that should have been 1891 and not 1901. The information provided in Crisane's post does match the information on the 1891 census which I provided a link to the image.

It's my belief that the Robert Audley who was a home child is the one on the 1891 Canada census in Leeds & Grenville and that he died in 1900. Given the information I've seen about the Robert Audlee in the US, I think he is a different person. Again, that is my conclusion which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct but with so much of the US information not matching up and with the Ontario evidence, it just doesn't add up that the home child Robert was in the US after 1900.

I've sent you a PM regarding an image of the death registration.

Jacquie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 September 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
I believe jacquie to be correct. Adopted children, and those working as farmers and domestics in this area where Robert was found in 1891, often came from Fairknowe distribution home in Brockville, or the organization below CCPS... You can find more information on the home and to whom one can write if one is a direct descendant (Information not open to others, and hard to extract even if you are... ) from the rootschat link polarbear gave you earlier....

Mrs. Lacy worked for the The Catholic Children's Protection Society, and the destination when they first arrived would have been a "House of Providence" run by them. (  St. Vincent's on St. Thomas Street in montreal  or House of Providence -Montreal Street, Montreal Que.)    There was one in Kingston, Ontario and the one in Liverpool was located at 99 Shaw Street.

Some images of the bldgs.
http://www.pccchealth.org/cms/sitem.cfm/about_us/our_heritage/the_beginnings:_1800%27s_-_early_1900%27s/
Information on the children may be in their database...You have to email them directly for this information, scroll down :
http://www.providence.ca/stories/?id=29&homechildren.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 September 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Now, can we be cheeky and ask what you know for sure to be true...such as parents names for these children...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Many thanks for the information in your message.

Of course you can have a copy of the information I have about Robert and James Audley (providing you do not use it for financial gain) At the moment the information I have about them is embedded in a family tree containing about 150 people with the surname Audley. If you send me a 'Personal Message' with your e-mail address. I will forward to you my master file with all the supporting evidence.

Regards
Brian

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
Uh, whaaa?   :P  I don't want to see any certs or full trees or anything  ::) ...you want more information, we at least need to know who the parents were...standard search info we usually are given from the get-go... ?

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry JJ,
I got the wrong end of the stick.
The father of Robert and James Audley was Thomas Audley he married Catherine Golding on 11th September 1876 at St Peter's Liverpool. In the 1881 census of Liverpool they were living at 11 Dun Street, Bootle cim Linacre Liverpool. Their father Thomas Audley Died 27th December 1885 at Walton Workhouse, Liverpool. The mother Catherine Audley nee Goldoing died 28th December 1889 at 15 Dundas Street, Liverpool.

Robert Audley was born Q1 1880 at Bootle Liverpool and James Audley born 1882 in Liverpool, emigrated (as orphans) under the Home Children Scheme aboard the Parisian leaving liverpool on the19th September 1890 arriving Montreal 27th September 1890 destination Kingston Ontario

Robert (as Robert Odley) was living with a family called Hughes at Elmsley, Ontario in 1891 and Died at Brockbank 29th May 1900 in Brookville.
James (as James Audly) was living in an orphanage in Kingston, ontario in 1891. I have no idea what happened to him after 1891. Can you help?

Regards
Brian Audley