Author Topic: Bridget Cahalin  (Read 3228 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Cahalin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know that Michael Cahalin is named on Margaret's marriage certificate.  I was very happy when the certificate turned up today and her father was listed.  He is listed as a General Labourer.  I have had a quick look to see if I can find the Marriage of Michael to a Bridget but have been unsuccessful so far.  Will keep on searching though.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 09:55 BST (UK) »
Am I right, that you don't have Bridget's maiden name?

There are the Bradford births that I mentioned earlier- Margaret Carlin and Catherine Cahelin that could be followed to see if they are relevant. I do appreciate that this costs money though.
Also, the Bridget marriage to Bernard Henry should (hopefully) give a previous name for Bridget.

There are several births in Leitrim/Roscommon but they are around the same time c1866-1871 where the parents are Michael Cahalin and Catherine Sharket / Sharcut/Sharkeet. I would imagine that the variations are due to transcriptions.
This can't be your Michael but it does point to possible links perhaps with Cahalin/Sharkey families.

Sadly, it does not offer any clues.

There is the Michael Cahalin  b c 1832 in Mayo who is in 1861 census, Cheshire  but not much else that is relevant.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes you are correct - I do not have Bridget's maiden name.  I have looked and so far have been unable to find a marriage record for Michael and Bridget either.  I have also been unable to find a death certificate for Michael Cahalin which would need to have occurred sometime around 1871 as that is when his daughter was 6 months and Bridget lists herself as a widow on the 1871 census. 

Thank you for your other suggestions.  I will have a look into these especially the marriage certificate for Bridget to Bernard Henry, hopefully that will give her maiden name.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
I think that is the best course of action and also the birth certificate would help also to compare.

Good luck - let us know if you can any other information you get. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk