Author Topic: Margaret Conlon  (Read 4314 times)

Offline sister ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Conlon
« on: Saturday 24 September 11 03:00 BST (UK) »

Hello,

I am looking for  information on a young girl born about 1898-1999,she was living in Stillorgan with her grandparents according to the 1901 and 1911 census. her name was Margaret Conlon,I have no names for the parents any help would be very welcome. thank you for your time

Betty

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Conlon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
Is Margaret an ancestor of yours ?

If so, the best place to start is probably with her marriage cert as that would give you her father's name and occupation. Once you had that detail you could try ordering possible birth certs to see if any match.

Is this your Margaret in Kilmacud as Maggie Conlen ?

Hall/Conlen household, Kilmacud Road

this appears to be the same family in 1901 - but Maggie's surname looks like 'Clarken'

Hall/Clarken household, Stillorgan North townland

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sister ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

You responded to a post on John and Jane Hall I posted a while ago, this time it is for Maggie Conlen or Clarken, on the census  she was 3 in 1901 and 13 in 1911, there is a lot of confusion on the dates on the census. I  got the death certificates for John and Jane Hall John died in 1919 at that time he was 85 years old, Jane died in 1915 at her death she was 70,
John and Jane were my great grandparents,on the census John was born in 1846 but after checking, his birthdate would have been 1834 and Jane would have been 1845,
I will look for the marriage certificate for Margaret, maybe her real name  is Clarken, is there a difference between Hall/ Clarken,  Stillorgan North Townland and the Hall/ Conlon household Kilmacu Road.
Thank you for your time  I appreciate your help.
Betty

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
is there a difference between Hall/ Clarken,  Stillorgan North Townland and the Hall/ Conlon household Kilmacu Road.

Part of Kilmacud Rd (Lower) goes through the townland of Stillorgan North. It's located where the shopping centre is now.

see : Stillorgan  North  (Select the 6" c1830s option to see the best view of the townland borders)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sister ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane in 1901 the family were living at a house in Stillorgan North no street just a house number 57. Maggie Clarken lived there at that time.the family must have moved in 1911 they living in a house number 46 Kilmacud Road Road.
 Maggie is still living with John and Jane now she is Maggie Conlen, could her parents have move and left her with John and Jane. I never knew anything about her until I looked at the census.
I will keep looking thanks again
 Betty

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 September 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane in 1901 the family were living at a house in Stillorgan North no street just a house number 57. Maggie Clarken lived there at that time.the family must have moved in 1911 they living in a house number 46 Kilmacud Road Road.

They may not have actually moved - or if they did it was only a short distance along the same road. The numbers are not constant between the two census, and not the same as modern street numbers, particularly on the 1901 return when the return is for a townland rather than a street. Part of Kilmacud Rd is actually located within the townland of Stillorgan North.

The remainder of Kilmacud Rd is in the townlands of Kilmacud West and East, with a small section in Drummartin.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sister ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 11 22:30 BST (UK) »

I have found another Margaret Conlen pretty close to the same age  by about a year, she was living in Inchicore. I will check her out a little more everything is so mysterious.
Thanks for your help, I am sure there is something I am missing.
Betty