Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65375 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I know that it can be difficult to get as much documentation as needed for such an early peiod and family stories can be a great help in providing details not found elsewhere or giving clues for further searching, However, there seems (at least on this thread) to be quite a bit of assumption and not listening to advice.

As a researcher based in Northern Ireland (with ancestral links to Limavady area and living only a few miles away) I would be extremely puzzled by a couple in Limavady area where the bride was supposed to be from Enniskillen and even more puzzled by an early marriage in Knockbreda (Belfast).

There are also statements like "Latest thoughts regarding William King Ferguson.  I don't know where he has come from but I believe he was of a strong Christian faith.  He is a mystery up to 1812 but I can track him after that and his involvement in the Parish." Other than his religion recorded in the 1831 census and a burial in the Parish (Church of Ireland) churchyard (which was actually open to all denominations) I can't see why you would believe that he was very religious.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, do you happen to know where the McCauslands of Streeve/Drenagh etc buried their dead?  Do you know if there's a private burying-ground on the estate?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a McCausland grave in Aghanloo Parish church but I think it was for a member of the family who was killed by the IRA in in the 1970/1980s. If I had to guess I would think that some are buried in the old parish church graveyard which nowadays lies within the walls of the Drenagh estate. There may also be more recent graves in the Parish Churchyard (Christchurch) in Limavady.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I have copied some lines taken from a book by Julia E Mullin, The Presbytery of Limavady. The lady was the wife of The Rev TH Mullin already mentioned. She wrote about Scriggan Presbyterian Church which stood about half a mile south of Bovevagh Presbyterian Church on the Ballyquin Road. The congregation was dissolved in 1905 and the church was demolished in 1930. A private house now stands there.
    " The Rev Joseph Osborne was installed there on 14 Jun 1799. He was the second son of  William Osborne, a merchant in the parish of Bovevagh and his wife was a daughter of Dr. Edwards of Straw House , Bovevagh. The Scriggan minister was a relative of the Rev Joseph Osborne, minister of Newtownlimavady congregation  being either a grandson or a nephew. Educated at Glasgow, he was licensed by the presbytery of Londonderryin 1791 and ordained in Corboy on 16 Mar 1792. He Married Mary Mease of Gortin, Co. Donegal. The marriage settlement, made in March 1794 conveyed the townland of Ballyhargin (sic) to trustees to hold for Mary Mease, the intended wife of Rev Joseph Osborne of Bracklin, Co. Longford.
    On 9 June 1801 Mr Osborne accepted a call from Newtownards Non Subscribing Congregation and he remained a minister there until he retired in 1827. His only child, Jane had married William Osborne of Altmover near Dungiven but she died in 1839 aged only 37 leaving one surviving child. The rev Joseph died at his son-in-law's residence in Altmover on 13 December 1849."
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all that information Kingskerswell.   :)

I’ve been looking into the Osbornes of Ballyharigan (several other spellings available), trying to unravel to ownership of the townland.

There are a couple of things I’m finding confusing at the moment.  The first is that the candidate for my ancestor who is supposed to have owned 800 acres had lots of children including several sons, yet it is his cousin (once removed), William Osborne who owned the land by the time of the Griffith’s Valuation.

The other, and I’m hoping someone might know about this, is records I’ve found relating to a sale under the encumbered lands courts:

[Dublin Evening Mail, 25 7 1855]
In the court for the sale of encumbered estates in Ireland ... in the matter of the estate of William Osborne, Esq., owner and petitioner, and in the matter of the Estate of said William Osborne, and of Joseph Osborne, an infant, Owners; Exparte, John Bates, Petitioner .... pursuant to the orders made in these matters, bearing date respectively the 24th day of April 1854, and 8th day May, 1855, Mr. George Walters, Auctioneer, will on Wednesday, the 10th day of October, 1855, at his auction Mart, situate in the city of Londonderry, at the hour of 12 o’clock at noon on said day, set up and sell in five lots, as specified below, the townland of Ballyhargan, otherwise Ballycarrigan, situate in the barony of Kennaught and County of Londonderry, containing 775A 0R 18P statute measure, held in fee-simple, and producing an annual rental of £512 10z 0d sterling....

[PRONI D120/53]
7 February Irish Encumbered Estates Court Rentals.  Rental and particulars of the estate of the said parties.  Parties: Estate of William Osborne, Esq., and Joseph Osborne, an infant, owners, John Bates, Esq., petitioner.  Relates to Ballyharigan, otherwqise Ballycarrigan, Co. Londonderry.

[Allnut’s Irish Land Schedule, 15 Feb 1856]
RESULT OF PUBLIC SALES: Showing the number of years purchase each lot has realieed (?) amount of purchase money, and name of purchaser ... William Osborne (late owner); Ballyhargan &c (includes Altmover, Termalin, Knockanalara and Mill Farm); for a total of £9820 ... William Osborne (purchaser).

My understanding is that the encumbered estates court was set up to sell land belonging to families which had fallen into debt, and to use the money to pay back the creditor(s).  According to the table in the Allnut’s Irish Land Schedule it looks as though land formerly belonging to William Osborne was sold, at public auction to ... William Osborne.  Is it possible that it was the same William Osborne, or must it have been someone else – perhaps a cousin, or his son?

Why is a “Joseph Osborne, infant” being mentioned?  How old (young) did you need to be to be described as an infant.  Under 1, under 3, under 8?

And who was John Bates?  Could he have been the man to whom money was owed?

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
There are at least six headstones for the MCauslands of DaisyHill, Streeve Hill and Drenagh in Drumachose Parish Church, Limavady. The McCauslands of Bessbrook are buried in Ballykelly C of I.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I should have said that you can find these on line at colerainefhs.org.uk. Hope this helps.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I do remember seeing some McCausland stones at Christ Church, Limavady but I think you need to be a member of Coleraine NIFHS to see these records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
The headstone inscriptions are not in the Members' Area of the Coleraine Branch of NIFHS . As far as I know they are freely available.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh