Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65362 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 01 February 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Why is a “Joseph Osborne, infant” being mentioned?  How old (young) did you need to be to be described as an infant.  Under 1, under 3, under 8?

In a legal sense, INFANT was a person who had not yet reached their majority and was therefore not recognised by a court of law as being able to speak on their own behalf at the court.  In that sense  "Infant" is another word for "minor".   

Please remember that a person who was not yet "full age" needed to have recorded on the record of their marriage that someone responsible gave consent .... and so if you remember that is indicating the bride/groom has not been able to give their own consent to their own marriage, and the reason they could not give their own consent was simply that they were not yet 'full age' ....  :)  :)  :)  ....  well, family history buffs say the underage persons were "minors" .... as they had not yet reached their 'majority'.   In the 19th century NSW courts, particularly in the 1840s (when some of my ancestors wills were being probated) some of the beneficiaries were referred to an Infants .... even though their actual age was also mentioned.   One beneficiary was noted as "an infant, in her twentifth year" on the court document.    I am sure similar meanings were used throughout the British Empire.

Re
Yes Ellen Jane Montgomery died Nowra 1896.  I have lots on her here in Australia.  On her death certificate Edward's name is mentioned but he is left out of her will. She may never have seen him after she left Ireland.

Information on NSW death certificates includes the informant providing answers to many many questions about the deceased. (Where/when born; parents names, including mum's nee name; how long in the colonies ... including each colony; where married and age at marriage, including name of spouse/s and listing children of each marriage and their ages, and listing known deceased children at the end of the lists of children....) etc etc.   NSW BDM does not cross check the validity of the information.  And of course the informant's own knowledge is often affected by their own grief and by their duties to other family members, and in making the funeral arrangements.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 01 February 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
In Irish records I've only ever seen a very young child described as an infact- perhaps 1 year of younger but certainly not over two years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 01 February 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=692074.msg5359520#msg5359520

In common law an "infant" was one who has not completed his or her twenty-first year.  In text books and statutes the words “infant” and “minor” are interchangeable and are used to describe a person who has not come of age. ………

There's other 'definitions' on that thread too.   :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 01 February 15 23:53 GMT (UK) »
That may be but I have never seen it used for an older minor in Irish legal records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Monday 02 February 15 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,   

I defer to your knowledge of the Irish legal records. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 08 February 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much cyclamen.  Yes, the Coleraine branch of the NIFHS offers the graveyard inscriptions for free on its website – I’d actually already glanced through a few of the graveyards, but not Drumachose yet, so thanks for pointing it out.

As you say, several McCausland headstones.  Unfortunately none with my William McCausland.

There is also an early Osborne grave at Drumachose: In memoriam / Henry Osborne / died 1777 / Mary Haslett Osborne / his widow / died 1812

Also, by chance, as I was browsing for a McCausland notice, I found this:

[Belfast Newsletter 25 Jun 1824]
At Newtownards, on Friday the 18th inst. in the 17th year of her age, ELIZABETH MARGARET, youngest daughter of the Rev. Joseph Osborne.

Thanks for the discussion on the use of the word ‘infant’.  The message I’m getting is that “Joseph Osborne, infant” was almost certainly a baby/toddler, but there is a chance the word was being used to mean “minor”.

It has been suggested to me before that I may be a descendant of Abraham Hillhouse McCausland and his wife Elizabeth Anderson, because on Familyfinder DNA I match two descendants of Andersons who were probably relatives of the above Elizabeth.  The family is very tangled, not as simple as it sounds, and I’m not 100% sure I’ve got that right.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sunday 08 February 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    The Mary Haslett (1738-1812) who married Henry Osborne was the daughter of my 4xg grandfather, Henry Haslett. Using a document in PRONI, D1550/162/0/2A, I have a list of their children but none were called Joseph.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 12 February 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh, interesting, small world.  George Speer who's posted here has a (tentative?) line of Altmover Osbornes going back to the 1600s:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=malise&id=I8796

I think it's only in the previous generation that there's Henry in the direct line.

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what (n.c.) means after a Christian name in relation to a Baptismal Record from The Latter Day Saints.  Also I see (n.d.) after some Christian names.

Thanks

Glenys