Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65735 times)

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #153 on: Thursday 22 August 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
FYI

As I have just stated in a pm to princess41 (Glynis) I was mistaken in my last posting about my lines having a proven DNA link to William Leckey Ferguson. The link is actually to the descendants of Robert Ferguson (c1832-1882) who married Sarah Ann Johnston in 1856 in Londonderry and emigrated to Australia. 

I do suspect a link to the William Lecky Ferguson branch, but this has yet to be substantiated, so I do not want to confuse or mislead anybody else researching any of these Ferguson families.

Apologies,

Fiona
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline Kristen2344

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Thursday 09 June 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
Princess41,

My great great grandmother was Jane Cunningham (nee Ferguson). Jane was born at Gortnessy in 1829 and married Samuel Cunningham at Gortnessy Meeting House, Glendermott on 17 Feb 1847. She died in 1893.
Jane was the daughter of Daniel (1789-1862) and Hannah Ferguson (as far as I know nee Hassan but I am not certain of that). They married about 1809 or 1810 I think. Daniel was born in Argyll, Scotland in 1789, and died in 1862. Hannah was born, possibly in Wales, in 1792 and died in 1870, but again I am not 100% certain that I have the correct Hannah.
Does this sound like one of your Fergusons?

Cheers,
Terry

I descend from Jane's sister Agnes Ferguson.  I am trying to confirm the parentage of Daniel Ferguson and Hannah Hassen, as well as determine who  the parents of Daniel and Hannah are.  Some records say that Agnes' parents were born in Ireland, others say Scotland.  Have you gotten anywhere on this?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Thursday 09 June 22 23:06 BST (UK) »
To save double ups and repetition of search effort there is another Ferguson thread here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=811819.0

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 09 June 22 23:16 BST (UK) »
There is a separate thread for the work that Kristen2344 is doing to research the Daniel Ferguson/Hannah Hassan links to her family ie Agnes Ferguson Sandersfield. 

This is the link.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862933.new#new