Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65393 times)

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 March 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
The Ulster Historical Society sent my brother a letter in 1976 saying there was a gravestone listing the death of William King Ferguson 28.9.1839 aged 76 and his wife Hannah Wilson death 26.3.1830.

Are there two William King Ferguson's or did he marry again to Ellen Osborne?  There would have been a big age difference if she had Edward Augustus in 1838 and then there is the death in 1839???

Can anyone find a marriage of Ellen Jane Ferguson (nee Osborne) to a James Montgomery?  This could have been a second marriage for Ellen or Ellenor.

If anyone can locate the gravestone would they please take a photo of it. 

Thank you for your help.

Glenys

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 March 12 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Glenys,
          I had a good look around the graveyard of Christchurch Church of Ireland this afternoon but to no avail. In this area many of the older headstones were made of a type of sandstone which has not weathered well. Many were illegible. As the local parish is called Drumachose and as there is also a Drumachose Presbyterian Church, I also had a look around their older headstones, again to no avail.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 March 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
There's also the old Drumachose burying gound at Drummond but only a few surviving headstones and not many readable there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 March 12 02:04 GMT (UK) »
A very special thank you for wandering around the graveyards for me.  I am touched by your kindness.  I was hoping that something may have turned up. 

Am I likely to find records on micro film at the Coleraine Library?  Does PRONI have the same records?  If I were to do a trip to Ireland where would I be best to go?

Is anyone able to locate a marriage between James Montgomery and Ellen or Ellenor Ferguson (nee Osborne)?

With thanks.

Glenys
Australia

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 March 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Glenys,
           It is not clear what records are held in Coleraine or indeed PRONI for this church. However as many microfilms are in poor condition and difficult to read it may be better to see the originals. I would advise contacting the rector to make an appointment well in advance. Remember the rector is a very busy man. See  http://derry.anglican.org/index.php/en/parishes/item/120-parish-of-drumachose-christ-church to contact the rector.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 March 12 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kingskerswell.

You have been very kind to help me and I shall follow your advice.  Thank you.

Glenys

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
THERE HAS BEEN A DEVELOPMENT IN THIS FAMILY RESEARCH.

Ellen Jane Osborne was married to William King Ferguson and had a Son Edward Augustus Ferguson born 4.9.1838.

Ellen Jane Osborne was born abt 1818 in Inneskillen and her parents were Joshua Osborne and Nancy Sproule.

On 9 Oct 1840 in Limavady Ellen Jane Ferguson (nee Osborne) married Henry Montgomery who was born abt 1820 in Balteagh and his Parents were James Montgomery and his Mother Mary ?

In April 1841 they travelled on the  'James Matheson' to Australia and settled in the State of New South Wales.  Edward Augustus Ferguson who was 3 did not immigrate with them to Australia.  Someone must have reared him back in Ireland, probably Limavady.  Ellen & Henry had another 12 children in Australia.  Ellen died in 1896.

Is anyone familiar with these details and may know something of the Ferguson family involved or of the Osbornes.

Thank you.

Glenys

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
There's an Edward Ferguson age 63 in 1901 census born Co.Derry-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Waringstown/Warringstown/1244654/

However, Edward could have died as a child/before the start of civil registration of deaths (1864) or left Ireland, or changed his name to that of whoever reared him.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 23:33 BST (UK) »
I should have added in the previous post that we know Edward came to Australia.  We picked him up there in 1862. 

I am only concentrating on the period 1841 to 1862.  I suspect that a Osborne or Ferguson or Sproule may have reared him in Limavady.

Thanks for your reply.