Author Topic: Watts  (Read 943 times)

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watts
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Anyone have any knowledge of Ivor Watts or Powell who was a policeman in the Maesteg / area. I have very little info about dates so all are approx. Probally born 1922 - 1935 possibly in Wales, His Mother was Maud Watts or Powell from Treherbert. I dont think he ever married or had children but possibly lived in Maesteg area as he was definatly a policeman. I can only guess he was a policeman anytime between 1950 - 1970's. I also know he has died but cannot find a death cert. Maybe Does anyone know if theres a website of ex policemen in the villages of Wales? He was my grandmothers brother but my grandmother was "adopted" as a baby. Just hoping I can find an Ivor as i dont realy have a definate surname as he may have had his fathers name? Thanks :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Watts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Were these children illegitimate?

Can you give more info re: why Maud was either Watts or Powell? 

Did she marry a Powell after the children were born?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.I dont have much info on my grandmother. I only that Maud (more likely to be Powell than Watts) was from Treherbert and as a young girl went away to service in Hereford. While there the son of the house "took advantage" of her and got Maud pregnant with my Grandmother who was then sent back to Treherbert to be brought up by another family. I dont think this was legal! My grandmother never heard or seen from her mother or family again although i assume the Powells still lived in Treherbert. The family story is that many years later possibly in the 60's or 70's a man knocked on my grandmothers door and announced he was her brother Ivor. I remember as a child reference being made to Ivor Watts but I think he was probaly Powell or some other surname. I think my best bet is to look in police records. I think now i should not have put this under Watts! Thanks

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
Your grandmother must have had her original birth certificate prior to her adoption certificate.
This would tell you the name of her mother.
Can you tell us your grandmothers name? if she is still living you will not be able to put it on this forum.
Did the family who adopted her have any documentation regarding her adoption.
You can apply to social services now for her adoption  file  this since 2006.
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall