Author Topic: Scary what u can find ....  (Read 2927 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Scary what u can find ....
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
I was sorting out my nan's stuff and I found a newspaper cutting about a wedding. I decided to do a little digging....  All I had were their names!  Via the wonder of the Internet I found when they were married (1970) and the births of their kids. That they had a business and where they used to live. And that they now live in Spain. They are members of certain clubs in Spain and other bits and pieces. I felt a but like a stalker doing this but with the best of intentions. I would like to send themthe article ( maybe they would like it) and also wondered how they knew my nan! 

Any ideas (without paying for 192) how I can find an address?  I know their son's name and area he lives and would like to send a letter!!  If someone sent me something like his I would be enthralled!!
What do u think?

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Scary what u can find ....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
hello
i think you should at least give them a say
try phone books

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I've always found Facebook handy for that
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 11 04:18 GMT (UK) »
They are members of certain clubs in Spain and other bits and pieces.

Any ideas (without paying for 192) how I can find an address?  I know their son's name and area he lives and would like to send a letter!!  If someone sent me something like his I would be enthralled!!
What do u think?

Hi,
If you have the names of the clubs that they currently belong to in Spain,  you could  email, or write to  the said clubs and ask them to pass on your message/letter to them ,along with your contact details.

Are the businesses that they owned still operating? If so, you could try and  contact those businesses and ask if they have a forwarding address for the previous owners, whether it is their address or their solicitors address.

Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 11 05:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm with Mark, try Facebook.  I have done that a few times and only this week made contact with a distant relative in america.
True, I made contact with the son as I felt his parents were probably a little elderly for me to make direct contact and might have thought I was a weird woman knowing so much about them including EXACT birth and marriage dates, their address and phone number.... the wonders of the internet! 
Thankfully the son didn't think I was odd  and was pleased with the contact, he said his mother would also be very interested but as his father died on sunday it might be a little while before he can come back with any family stories and photos  :-X :-[ :'(  oops!
Since then I have heard the family are really pleased with my contact and the information I sent has been used as a distraction to the sad event which took place yesterday.

I say do it.... just be careful how much you have found out  initially, it can as you say sound and feel like a stalker at large!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
If you can't find them on Facebook, try to find their kids.  I got in touch with an old work collegue that way - he wasn't on Facebook, but his youngest daughter was, and I contacted her.  The funny thing was that when I got his phone number, it was the same as the one that I knew from 30 years ago - he hadn't moved  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk