Author Topic: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s  (Read 14337 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s
« on: Monday 26 September 11 00:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry for a second post in the same day, but I have just come across some information which may lead to the origins of an elusive ancestor.

Henry Pritty (born before c1742) married Margaret Panks and lived in Southwold. However as yet I have been unable to find his baptism.

However I have just found what appears to be his son Henry Pritty junior (born 1776 in Southwold) aprenticed to a George Pritty, butcher, of 'Wastleton', presumably Westleton, in 1791. As Westleton is only six miles away from Southwold it would seem this is where Henry may have come from.

There are the following burials on the Suffolk burial website for Pritty family members in Westleton:

George   PRITTY      23/Jan/1763   inf      Westleton
Elizabeth   PRITTY      31/Jan/1768   inf      Westleton
Elizabeth   PRITTY      13/Nov/1772   inf      Westleton
Charles   PRITTY      1/Mar/1790   92   senr; wdr   Westleton   
John   PRITTY      3/Dec/1794      bch   Westleton   
Daniel   PRITTY      14/Feb/1794   inf      Westleton   
John   PRITTY      8/Jul/1800      mar man   Westleton   
Susan   PRITTY      3/Aug/1808      mar woman   Westleton   
George   PRITTY   Westleton   22/Jun/1823   88      Westleton   

I would assume the George who died in 1823 is the one to whom Henry junior was apprenticed.

There are no Westleton baptisms or marriages however on the IGI that I can see, so I assume they have not been added to the database.

If anyone has access to the Westleton parish registers and could therefore have a look for a Henry Pritty/Pretty I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

I searched the Westleton baptisms today from 1726-1745 but could not see any Pritty (variations) at all, sorry.

Anne

Offline DollyBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
HI Jonwicken, not directly related to yr family but you may be interested to hear info about westleton. I recently visited Westleton and it is a thriving well kept village with thatched church, pond, two smashing pubs with accomodation, bookshop, its lovely place. The churchyard is full of graves with names like Rebecca, Rachel, Isaac, Moses from 1750 + & at first I wondered if there was jewish connection but what happened in those days was many suffolk people were actively non-conformist, preferring orginal biblical names and simple services (check out walpole chapel on internet) this was a big part of the history of that part of the country (also some Cromwell links) so to understand the history of our families in those days its good to know something about this topic (google nonconformism 18th C England or similar).

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
DollyBee - we were a very pious, non conformist county  ::)

Did you realise that dear Bob's bookshop is housed in the former Methodist Chapel?

Most of the villages had their own non-conformist chapels, often the large villages and small towns had several, Congregational, Baptist, Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Unitarian etc etc.

By the way, non-conformists usually have their own section of the churchyard for burials, the Anglican worshippers of the church would be elsewhere.  In some cases, you find there is a brick wall in the churchyard with non-conformist buried on the other side of the wall.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking Anne, you really are my Suffolk Saviour at the moment. Thanks also to the other interesting posts about Westleton.

As there are no baptism entries for the period 1725-1745, I assume that the family moved here from elsewhere at some point prior to 1763, when the first burial takes place.

I have found a Henry Pretty born c1791-1792 in Westleton on the census, so I would assume he was probably a son of George or John. Charles senior could perhaps have been George's father.

Not sure what all their relationships were to each other yet, but hopefully some more digging will unearth something.

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline Clive Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
The following may be of interest to you.
In my researches into the Fletcher tree I have found a Sarah Fletcher nee Pritty b. 4 April 1792 Middleton Suffolk.  She married my 3xG grandfather William.  They are buried in Middleton Churchyard. Sarah died in 1835.
Regards
Clive

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Clive. Do you happen to know the parents' names?

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Any help ?

The Bury and Norwich Post,  March 09, 1858;
Death on the 22 nd inst at Southwold aged 88 Ann relict of Mr Henry Pritty

1851 HO107; Piece: 1803; Folio: 854; Page: 25
Southwold
 Ann Pritty  78 lodging house keeper b Pakefield

An addition to the results page gives the name Ann  Colby
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Clive Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jon
Sorry at this stage I do not have any further info at this moment as I have only just discovered Sarah.  I will be in touch as soon as I have anything.
Regards
Clive