Author Topic: Immigration to Australia  (Read 2744 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 November 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you have seen this death notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article37449081

STEPHEN.-Killed in action. March 28, 1918 Lieut. David Robert Stephen  dearly loved friend of Mrs East and family, 299 Newcastle Street aged 25 years.

regards,
   Ros

From electoral rolls 1925 North Perth, Perth, Western Australia

Anna Caroline Henrietta EAST 299 Newcastle St, Perth,  married   (no others of same surname at that address)

Anna Caroline Henrietta EAST died 17/6/1956 aged 88 http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00104674

I think this could be the death of her husband in 1914
-On Saturday, April 23, at his residence, 3 Bulwer-street, North Perth, William Henry East, late of Kookynie, dearly beloved husband of Anna East, and father of Mrs. W. E. Stephen, of Fremantle, Shirley and Leonard East, aged 60 years.

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration to Australia
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 November 13 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all, I have been off the site for a little time, family commitments, so good to be back.

James Strachan (born 1883) and David Robert Stephen born ( 1891) were uncle and nephew.  David's mother Margaret Stephen ( nee Strachan) and James were brother and sister. David was my great uncle ( a bit of a family hero) so that would make James Strachan my great, great uncle.
 David Robert belonged to 44th Bn., Australian Infantry and by the time of his death on 28th March 1918 he had risen to the rank of Lieutenant and  been awarded the Military Cross. He is buried in Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery, France.

The citation for the award sent to his parents in December 1918 ( well after his death) reads:

Lieutenant David Robert Stephen MC

" for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. While in command of a patrol, he encountered two large parties of the enemy. He attacked each party in turn captured some prisoners and dispersed the remainder, without any casualties among his own men. He set a splendid example of courage and initiative"

As I said a family hero and my late mother remembered the medal taking pride of place on her grandparents mantelpiece. Don't where it went when they died. Wish I did.

Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland