Author Topic: Marriage Mystery of Simmons Williams  (Read 3821 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Mystery of Simmons Williams
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
I've tried to search for Scottish BMD's but with so many Thompson's and no parents names  it makes it very difficult :( Any tips for that at all?
One step at a time, if you are positive of the Janet Nanson marriage, then the marriage certificate will give you her father's name and occupation.  You also need this to confirm Simmons father's name or else my research will be unconfirmed.

Pinefamily gave you the reference you need in the first answer to your post.  Order online at www.gro.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Yes David, you're correct, I initially mis-read the post regarding the birth of the baby in 1871.
I'll order the Marriage cert of Janet and Simmims and hopefully I can get some further answers from there!
Thanks so much for everyone's help!  :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 September 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Regarding the nautical terms, as far as I know mariner is/was a general term for a seaman/sailor. Other terms such as mate and captain among others would usually mean merchant shipping. The term "master and commander" was most definitely a Naval title.
By 1748, the Navy had created three levels of ship's captains: post-captain, master & commander, and lieutenant (or lieutenant commander). The title depended on the size of ship.
So I think it shouldn't be too hard to trace his Naval career. I'm sure there are some experienced rootschatters that can help!
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 September 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
So I think it shouldn't be too hard to trace his Naval career.
I hope so, it's not an area I'm very familiar with but at those sort of dates his career would be fascinating I'm sure.  I hope Rebecca discovers something about it.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
I tried searching the cheshire parish records, but could not find the same records... but hopefully I can use the information you posted and try and look into the Naval Career for him. Not a clue where to start, but will start the search in hope that I find some interesting records! Definately an interesting family! (Simmons son, Arthur Simmons Williams is my x 2 G Grandfather and was a bigamist, whose first and legitimate wife was the sister of Henry Tingle Wilde, Chief Officer of the Titanic!)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 September 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
I tried searching the cheshire parish records, but could not find the same records...
Read the instructions very carefully, the database takes a bit of getting used to.

When doing the search I did also narrow it down by choosing the Neston Parish otherwise there might have been thousands to search through.  From then I just looked at those with the abode of Parkgate.  Narrowing it down this much I may well have missed some, although there are others in the same area who might well be, with a bit more investigation, siblings to your family.

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 September 11 14:45 BST (UK) »

I've tried to find Searchable Navy records for the 18th century, but no luck thus far. Will keep at it, as I'm sure there will be some interesting stories there!

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 September 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
Still jumping ahead a little bit, as you don't yet have the confirmation from the marriage cert. but I thought the 1841 census looked vry interesting, in view of the surnames.

Banaster Street, Liverpool
All born in County
Simmons Williams 30 Mariner
Elizabeth 30
Margaret 9
Simmons 6
Daniel 1
/
Margaret Bradburn 60 Ind.  Yes
Ann 30 Ind. Yes
Peter Ricket 40 Lab Ireland
Ann 40 Ireland
Eliza 20 Dressmaker Ireland
Catherine 10 Yes
HO107 piece 557 folio 10/30 page 10

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 September 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are not many Naval records available online. You might find one or two via ancestry or findmypast, but they are likely to be for a later time period.
Having a second read of this thread, I noticed the time-line of William Williams (father of Simmons senior). He was a master & commander between at least 1799 and 1802; before that mariner and mate, and after mariner again. Either his naval career was very short, or for some reason lost his command.
I don't know how to approach the research of Naval ancestors, however I do know Naval records are held at the National Archives; merchant records are held at the Maritime Museum I think.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.