Author Topic: Marriage Mystery of Simmons Williams  (Read 3819 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Mystery of Simmons Williams
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
To bring them all together
27 Garlton StreetNo. 1 Court, Everton, Lancashire
Simmons Williams Head M 46 Store Keeper Cheshire Parkgate
Elizabeth Wife M 46 Liverpool
Simmons son Unm 14 Office Boy "
Daniel son 8 Liverpool
Elizabeth daur 5 "
Ann Bradburn Sister Unm 40 "
HO107; Piece:  2189; Folio:  442; Page:  60
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Simmons Williams 13th October, 1805 at Neston, residence Parkgate, parents William and Elizabeth Williams, occupation mariner.

A possible marriage is again at Neston, 26th July, 1789 between William Williams, a mariner, residence Neston to Betty Neile, Spinster of Neston.
Witnesses Ellen Neile and Will Monk

Baptism of Mary Williams, Neston, 27th November, 1791, parents William and Elizabeth Williams, occupation Mariner, residence Parkgate.

Another possible baptism - William Williams 21st Septmber 1794, parents William and Elizabeth Williams, occupation Mate, residence Parkgate.

Anne Williams, 24th August, 1796, parents William and Elizabeth Williams, occupation Mate of ship, residence Parkgate.

Elizabeth Williams, 7th August, 1799, parents William and Elizabeth Williams, occupation Master and Commander, residence Parkgate.

Another Anne on 16th April, 1802, same parents, occupation Master and Commander, residence Parkgate.

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

Looks like Simmons may have been the youngest unless they moved elsewhere to have other children.

William's occupation should be interesting if you can follow it.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
There is a burial at Neston for Anne Williams on 13th April, 1800, unfortunately no age given to confirm whether this is the first Anne.

There is another on 7th June, 1802, status Child but as this is after the baptism of the second Anne it won't be the correct one.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "master & commander" signify Navy, rather than merchant shipping?
Maybe I've read too many Patrick O'Brian novels.  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thanks so much for all your replies! this gives me so much information to go off!

Interesting that if that Marriage is correct, (Simmims and Janet Nanson) she would refer to herself as Jessie at a later date? I do think that this must be correct, as there are not many Simmons around and the fact that the name Nanson Pops up again with there son George...

I don't think that the birth of a "Jessie Thompson" in West Derby is correct, as both her, and her brother Robert state Scotland as there birth country.I've tried to search for Scottish BMD's but with so many Thompson's and no parents names  it makes it very difficult :( Any tips for that at all?

Thanks so much again! This is fantastic!  ;D

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Mary A
Can I ask where you found the information for the Occupations? Pre 1830 I'm struggling to find many records to search  ???

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the birth of a "Jessie Thompson" in West Derby is correct, as both her, and her brother Robert state Scotland as there birth country.

Maybe I have misread something in the thread, but isn't the Jessie registered in West Derby thought to be the first child of the couple in question rather than the mother??

As the baby is only 2 days old on census day in 1871 it is likely that this is her birth.

March 1871

WILLIAMS  Jessie     in W. Derby  8b 409
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
You are 100% correct David,this was indeed intended to be baby Jessie,as mentioned in the very first posting (their first child was born in 1871)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "master & commander" signify Navy, rather than merchant shipping?
Maybe I've read too many Patrick O'Brian novels.  ;D
Possibly I don't know - so far I have found only Mariner, Mate and Master & Commander for him.  Do any of these signify merchant shipping?

Mary A
Can I ask where you found the information for the Occupations? Pre 1830 I'm struggling to find many records to search ???
I gave the link within my answer for the Cheshire Online Parish Register Project, where without the  continuity of the occupation I would not have been very certain of the entries. http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/