Author Topic: Parish: Cloone, Leitrim. McHugh/MacArtan  (Read 21622 times)

Offline rosiekass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish: Cloone, Leitrim. McHugh/MacArtan
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for any information with regard to my 2nd Great Grandparents James McHugh B:1829
and Rose MacArtan B1831. 1901 census say that they lived in Drumna, Riverstown, Mohill. Parish: Cloone, Occupation: Farmers. Would like to find out there parents names if anyone could help me.
Not sure on where and when they were married (that info would be helpful too) but I do know that they had 10 children (possibly more). Love to hear from some living relatives too.

Names:
     Anne McHugh
        1856 –
    Cathrine McHugh
        1857 –
    Peter McHugh
        1858 –
    Michael McHugh
        1861 –
    John McHugh
        1863 –
    Eugene McHugh
        1865 –
    FRANCIS MCHUGH (My Great Grandfather)
        1867 – 1937
    Patrick McHugh
        1869 –
    James McHugh
        1872 –
    Mary McHugh
        1876 –

Look forward to any possible information.  :D

Donohoe, McHugh, Cooney, Mitchell. Cloone, Co Leitrim, Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parish: Cloone, Leitrim. McHugh/MacArtan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
Based on the 1901 census your McHugh ancestors were RC so you would need to check for parish records for the marriage of James and Rose (full civil records started in 1864). Drumna is in the civil parish of Cloone and the RC parish of Cloone-Conmaicne, so that would probably be the place to start a search for the marriage. Were the children all born in Drumna ?

Marriage records for Cloone-Conmaicne parish go back to 1823, but there is a gap between between early 1839 and the end of 1843. Baptism records go back to about 1820 - also with some gaps. The records are available on microfilm ref. Pos. 4241  in the National Library in Dublin.

Early RC marriage records often show very little detail - e.g. date of marriage, names of bride and groom, plus names of two witnesses. Sometime they may include places of residence.

1901 census for reference : McHugh household

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rosiekass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.
Thanks so much for your information with regard to my ancestors.
I will start looking into RC parish of Cloone-Conmaicne, for the marriage
of James and Rose and the birth of there children. Hopefully, that will
give me enough info to get on with the next stage.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for all your help.
Regards
Rosie

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 02:55 BST (UK) »
Anne McHugh baptised 16th March 1856: sponsors Mike McHugh and Bridget Flynn
Catherine McHugh baptised 10th Feb 1857; sponsors Tom McHugh and Anne McCartan
Peter McHugh baptised 7th Aug 1858; sponsors Mike McHugh and Mary McCartan
Michael McHugh baptised 20th Feb 1861; sponsors Pat and Bridget McHugh
John McHugh baptised 17th May 1863; sponsors Frank McHugh and Eleanor Shanley
Eugene McHugh baptised 12th May 1865; sponsors Eugene McHugh and Bridget McCartan
Francis McHugh baptised 30th May 1867; sponsors Frank Tiu=ernan and Mary Kilagher
Pat McHugh baptised 14th Dec 1869; sponsors Pat Mitchell and Anne McHugh (reading uncertain)
James McHugh baptised 20th Feb 1872; sponsors John and Rose McCartan
Mary McHugh baptised 24th Nov 1876; Sponsors Eugene McHugh and Mary Moran (probably Eugene’s wife)

The marriage of James McHugh and Rose McCartan does not appear in the Cloone parish records so either they were not recorded- which is possible – or they were married in another parish (they do not appear in Aughavas parish either).

In the Tithe Books for Drimna (c. 1833) there are two McHugh men holding land from the Madden estate.  Michael has 3 Irish acres (about 5 statute acres) and John has 15 (24 statute), which he shares with Hugh and Pat Tiernan.

By the time of Griffith’s Valuation c.1857, there are three McHugh farms in the townland.  John has 36 acres, Tom has 29 and James has 36.  The three of them also share another 5 acres with James McGovern and John McGee.   

In the 1901 census James and Rose are still at Drimna aged 72 and 70.  Of their children, Francis 28, Pat 26, James 24 and Mary 23 are still at home.

There are three other McHugh families in the townland at that time

In 1911 I believe Francis is holding the farm (aged 42), wife Ellen 34 and children Rose Anne 4, Mary Kate 3 and James Patrick 2.  Also present was brother Pat aged 40.

Offline rosiekass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Jim! I'm delighted with the information you gave me.
I'm currently working in Europe at the moment so it's difficult for me to get
to Ireland to check out the archives, so every little helps. I so grateful
to people like you who have no qualms in helping people like me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!   ;D 

Offline fmchugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of researching my ancestors, who originated from Drimna, Cloone, Co. Leitrim.
My G. Grandfather was Francis McHugh, who was married to Ann Fitzpatrick and my Grandfather also Francis McHugh, b. 12th May 1879.

Regards

Frank McHugh

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank
I have a little info on your family but it doesn’t, quite, match your information.  The Cloone parish records show 4 children to Francis McHugh and Anne Fitzpatrick but all were baptised from Drumhalla, not Drimna; Drumhalla being the townland immediately to the south of Drimna.

Francis married Anne on 9th February 1869 and the witnesses were Eugene Shanley and Rose Conlon.  Unfortunately the marriage records at that time do not give the parents of the couple.  It may be worth getting a copy of the Civil Registration marriage certificate, which may give more information.

Their children:
Mary was baptised on 12th Nov 1869, sponsors John and Anne Fitzpatrick
Michael was baptised on 24th May 1872, sponsors Patrick McHugh and Rose (surname obscured)
Francis (1) was born on 22nd Nov 1873, sponsors Eugene McHugh and ? (name obscured)
Francis (2) was baptised on 13th April 1879, sponsors obscured but I believe the woman was a Fitzpatrick.

It could be that Anne Fitzpatrick was from Drumhalla as it was quite common for women to return to their parents home to give birth.  It imay also be relevant that the McCues who had land in Drumhalla lived in the very north of the townland, on land which adjoined the McHughs from Drimna who lived at the very south of that townland.

In Griffith’s Valuation, Michael McCue of Drumhallagh held around 40 acres.  He was married to a Mary Carroll and had at least 6 children between 1863 and 1872.  I cannot see any record of this marriage in the parish records of either Cloone or Aughavas.

In the Tithe Books of c.1833 another Michael McHugh held 6 acres of land in DRumhallagh.  He was married to Ann Shanley and they had at least 8 children between 1825 and 1843 (including Michael on 15th August 1829).  I cannot find any record of this marriage but it may have occurred before records began.  The Shanley connection I think definitely ties Francis in with the Drunhalla McHughs.

Jim

Offline fmchugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 00:07 BST (UK) »

Hello Jim,
Thank you for your response to my posting.
I have some information on my ancestors as follows;
My g.g. grandfather, Francis McHugh, b abt 1840, d. 1910, married Ann Fitzpatrick, b. abt. 1842, d.1884, in Mohill (probably Cloone) on 9th February 1869.  Grooms father is given as Michael McHugh and the brides as John Fitzpatrick

They had the following family;
Marianne b 23/11/1869.
Michael b. 7/6/1872
John b. 24/11/1873
Thomas b. 8/2/1879
Francis b. 12/5/1879 ( my grandfather)
Ann b. 6/1/1884
Ann McHugh/Fitzpatrick died in 1884 after Ann was born.  Francis remarried a Catherine Connell in 1887 and they had a family of 5 children. The 1901 census shows that Ann was the only member of the first family to be residing with Francis and Catherine. Drimna is given as the townland of residence, while the birth certificates give Drumhallagh.
I read with interest rosieskass’s posting and it maybe that James McHugh, b. 1829and Michael McHugh, father of my g.g.grandfather, were brothers. I know relations of her g. grandfather Francis McHugh.
Is it possible to make personal contact with rosiekass
Any information on the Fitpatrick’s, who maybe from Aughavas parish. I am not aware of the Fitzpatrick name in Drumhallagh.

Regards
Frank McHugh

Offline fmchugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Jim,

did you get my last posting, in responce to your of 12th sept.' 12
Hi Frank
I have a little info on your family but it doesn’t, quite, match your information. The Cloone parish records show 4 children to Francis McHugh and Anne Fitzpatrick but all were baptised from Drumhalla, not Drimna; Drumhalla being the townland immediately to the south of Drimna.

Francis married Anne on 9th February 1869 and the witnesses were Eugene Shanley and Rose Conlon. Unfortunately the marriage records at that time do not give the parents of the couple. It may be worth getting a copy of the Civil Registration marriage certificate, which may give more information.

Their children:
Mary was baptised on 12th Nov 1869, sponsors John and Anne Fitzpatrick
Michael was baptised on 24th May 1872, sponsors Patrick McHugh and Rose (surname obscured)
Francis (1) was born on 22nd Nov 1873, sponsors Eugene McHugh and ? (name obscured)
Francis (2) was baptised on 13th April 1879, sponsors obscured but I believe the woman was a Fitzpatrick.

It could be that Anne Fitzpatrick was from Drumhalla as it was quite common for women to return to their parents home to give birth. It imay also be relevant that the McCues who had land in Drumhalla lived in the very north of the townland, on land which adjoined the McHughs from Drimna who lived at the very south of that townland.

In Griffith’s Valuation, Michael McCue of Drumhallagh held around 40 acres. He was married to a Mary Carroll and had at least 6 children between 1863 and 1872. I cannot see any record of this marriage in the parish records of either Cloone or Aughavas.

In the Tithe Books of c.1833 another Michael McHugh held 6 acres of land in DRumhallagh. He was married to Ann Shanley and they had at least 8 children between 1825 and 1843 (including Michael on 15th August 1829). I cannot find any record of this marriage but it may have occurred before records began. The Shanley connection I think definitely ties Francis in with the Drunhalla McHughs.

Jim

Hello Jim,
Thank you for your response to my posting.
I have some information on my ancestors as follows;
My g.g. grandfather, Francis McHugh, b abt 1840, d. 1910, married Ann Fitzpatrick, b. abt. 1842, d.1884, in Mohill (probably Cloone) on 9th February 1869. Grooms father is given as Michael McHugh and the brides as John Fitzpatrick

They had the following family;
Marianne b 23/11/1869.
Michael b. 7/6/1872
John b. 24/11/1873
Thomas b. 8/2/1878
Francis b. 12/5/1879 ( my grandfather)
Ann b. 6/1/1884
Ann McHugh/Fitzpatrick died in 1884 after Ann was born. Francis remarried a Catherine Connell in 1887 and they had a family of 5 children. The 1901 census shows that Ann was the only member of the first family to be residing with Francis and Catherine. Drimna is given as the townland of residence, while the birth certificates give Drumhallagh.
I read with interest rosieskass’s posting and it maybe that James McHugh, b. 1829and Michael McHugh, father of my g.g.grandfather, were brothers. I know relations of her g. grandfather Francis McHugh.
Is it possible to make personal contact with rosiekass
Any information on the Fitpatrick’s, who maybe from Aughavas parish. I am not aware of the Fitzpatrick name in Drumhallagh.

Regards
Frank McHugh